Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2021 excel update issue

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Frank-Oosterwaal
1384 Views, 13 Replies

Inventor 2021 excel update issue

Hi all,

Our models are having update issues with excel 3rd parties. Whenever we change something in the excel sheet and save it, the update button in Inventor stays greyed out. Inventor is only triggered with the data change after closing the excel and reopen it.

I've searched the forums and tried basically everything:

• UseLibXL in system variables
  • Run as administrator
  • Approach .ipj through UNC path
  • Approach .ipj through Network path IP-adress
  • Update Inventor
  • Putting the excel on the local machine is not a solution for us, they need to stay on the server.

But the issue still occurs. The weird part is that it only happens on a few systems. All of these systems have different office versions and yes, some have office 2016 and still have the problem. Even weirder is that the issues only occur on systems in our Dutch office. In the Malaysian office, none of the systems have issues.

We have a workaround which works and that is adding a simple VBA code to the excel which closes the excel and reopen it upon save but surely this should not be the final solution.

For the ones interested in the VBA workaround:

“
Private Sub Workbook_AfterSave(ByVal Success As Boolean)
    ThisWorkbook.ChangeFileAccess xlReadOnly, , False
    Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
    ThisWorkbook.ChangeFileAccess xlReadWrite, , True
End Sub
“

Anyone a (different) idea on how to solve this? Thanks in advance!

Greets,
Frank

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi! The first thing I would try is to disable LibXL. Inventor 2021, by default, no longer relies on Excel to read Excel files. Excel is only needed if you want to edit such table in Excel. For any table UI like iPart/iAssembly or linking or reading process, Excel is no longer required.

For your case, it looks like Excel is still needed. To disable LibXL, you need to add "UseLibXL" to environment variable. And, set the value to "False" (not 0). This was an intended change.

Please report back your findings. Also, make sure 2021.1 update is installed followed by 2021.1.2 update.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 14

Hi @johnsonshiue ,

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post but we tried your suggestion already. Everything in this post we tried but failed:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/problem-with-inv-2021-linking-updating-from-excel/td-p...

Also all updates are installed. 

Greets,

Frank

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 14

Hi Frank,

I just want to double-check that you did have "UseLibXL" set to "False" (not '0'; it was changed deliberately in 2021). This will enable Excel dependent workflows.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 14

Hi @johnsonshiue ,

Yes that is correct, we set it to "False". We followed your message (message 8 of 12) from the post:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/problem-with-inv-2021-linking-updating-from-excel/td-p...

However, problem still occurs.

Greets,

Frank

Message 6 of 14

Hi Frank,

I have contacted our project team. This issue was reported as INVGEN-46090 but we have not yet been able to reproduce it. If you don't mind, have you tried uninstalling Excel (MS Office 365) and reinstalling it. Make sure the Excel has Excel.exe installed locally on your machine. Inventor needs it to communicate with Excel.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 14

Hi @johnsonshiue ,

I will try this next week on the machine which has the most problems. Will get back to you!

Greets,

Frank

Message 8 of 14

Hi @johnsonshiue ,

Sorry for the delay. We've reinstalled excel with the .exe on the local machine. Sadly the problem still occurs... Do you have any other solutions we could try because this is a pretty big problem in our NL office.

Greets,

Frank

Message 9 of 14

Hi! Unfortunately, there isn't much to update on INVGEN-46090. We are still having trouble reproducing the issue. A testable 2021.2 update will be available on Inventor Feedback Community (https://autode.sk/InventorBeta) soon. You may want to try it and see if it works better. In the meantime, you may want to make sure all critical Windows updates are installed and maybe reinstall Office 365 (Excel.exe included). I am sorry!

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 14

Hi all,

An update on this:

- Inventor release 2021.2 has no effect. the problem still occurs.

We've come a step closer into narrowing down where the issue comes from. We tested with a new server path and this seems not to have any issues. On the same server when we have path:

- Network default:  \\xserver\CAD\ <- all models have issues

- Network new:  \\dc\AutodeskTest\ <- all models work fine

So it seems to be related to that specific path. IT department says the only difference between the two is the virusscanner. We tried to turn the virus scanner off on the default path but the problems still occur.

Maybe the above shines a light on what could be wrong. Any ideas on what we could try to change?

Greets,

Frank

Message 11 of 14

We are having the same issue described here.  Having to save the spreadsheet multiple times before Inventor 2021.2 picks up the change.  Sometimes it does not work at all.  Can Autodesk please chime in on this?

Thanks

Message 12 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: chrisw01a

Hi Folks,

Sorry to reply to you late! I think Frank's finding might be indeed related, though I don't know a solution yet. It sounds like Windows is blocking an Application from accessing certain location for whatever reason.

Just a test if you have not done so. If you uninstall 2021.2 update, does it work then? I need to work with the project team and see if there is any update. BTW, most of Autodesk staff are on holiday right now. The response may not be as prompt as usual.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 14

Hi johnson,

We already had the problem before the 2021.2 update and thought it might be solved with this update. unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. Is there a new reason why I need to try and uninstall the 2021.2 update? If so I will try but it seems there's no point since the problem occured in all versions before 2021.2 as well.

Wish you all a merry christmas and a happy, healthy, new year!

Greets,

Frank

Message 14 of 14

Hi Frank,

I thought it was caused by 2021.2. I am sorry I was confused. It does sound like system related. Inventor does not dictate what folder to access. I need to work with the project team to understand it better. So far we have not been able to reproduce the behavior yet unfortunately.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report