Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2019 Making Toys With CNC - Editing Model Dimensions

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
CDT12860
575 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 2019 Making Toys With CNC - Editing Model Dimensions

I am new to CNC.  I have built a custom CNC and learning.  My primary purpose is to make toys for my Grand Kids and friends.  I have attached a file that I have been working on for some time.  It has 3 windows .75 X 1. and finger joints on the end.  I cannot post process this file and make the correct dimensions.  The finger joints are .03 to large and the windows are to small.  When I use a G-Code simulator it appears to me everything is correct.  But, the dimension of the tool (0.125) appears to be the issue.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have made several of the boats by hand but this is a great project for my CNC.

Clifford

DSC_1166.JPG

kelly.young has embedded your image and edited your subject line for clarity: Making Toys

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: CDT12860

@CDT12860

Are using Inventor HSM or some other CNC application inside of Inventor (assuming your issue is based on G-gode)?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 8
CDT12860
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

2019 for both Inventor and HSM

Message 4 of 8
Mark.Lancaster

@CDT12860

Inventor HSM has its own forum https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-support-forum/bd-p/216

I will have the moderator relocate it there to better suit your needs.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 8
CDT12860
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thank you Mark. I am very new at all of this.

Clifford

Message 6 of 8

You might be running into a lot of things at the same time.

You probably have some tool deflection. If you recut the same part do the dimensions become better?

Your tool might not exactly be the given diameter. That means you might need to compensate for that either using a negative stock to leave, cutter compensation/wear compensation on the control or changing the tool diameter in the library.

The part might deflect as well if not held securely.

The machine might deflect as well if not all that rigid.

Finally the machine might have some backlash causing dimensions to be off.

I would start at the top of this list and see if you can change/fix things to get them to the right dimension.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 7 of 8
kelly.young

Hello @CDT12860 it sounds like you are getting the path you want out of Inventor but when putting into your CNC machine the output is slightly off.

What machine are you using and are the results consistent? If it is repeatable that would be an indication that the machine calibration might need to be investigated. 

I don't think fudging the numbers by the amount off is going to be the best way to go, you could setup a test square and use that to calibrate. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 8 of 8
CDT12860
in reply to: kelly.young

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Today I slowed the machine down to only 10 inch/min and the dimensions were closer. Therefore, I believe the rigidity of my machine is now the issue.

Thank you again for your thoughtful response.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report