Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2017 Section View Not Including Primary Solid Body

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
joel.rogersEPQWL
397 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor 2017 Section View Not Including Primary Solid Body

I need to render a section view from my solid model. The model is composed of a group of independent solid bodies, which were imported from stp 214 files.

When I the section view is laid out it does not render the primary solid body.

2018_08_16_16_25_12_Autodesk_Inventor_Professional_2017_Drawing_.png2018_08_16_16_22_26_Autodesk_Inventor_Professional_2017_Bowl Model.png

kelly.young has embedded your image and edited your subject line for clarity: Section View not working

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Hello @joel.rogersEPQWL I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Can you try RMB on the section in the Model Browser > Edit Section Properties > Slice All Parts?

SectionAll.png

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 15

You might also be sure that you are not using Distance for "Section Depth".  If you are, make sure that the Distance is set to a value larger than the radius of the part.

Section Depth.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 15

Tried that. Still no luck. See attached.

2018_08_17_08_39_00_Autodesk_Inventor_Professional_2017_Slice_All_Parts.png

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

Message 5 of 15

Hmmm. Interesting. It appears that when I combine other solids with the primary "bowl" solid they also become invisible. In the attached pictures I have isolated the top lugs as separate solids, but combined the rest.

2018_08_17_08_54_07_Autodesk_Inventor_Professional_2017_Bowl_Combine.ipt_.jpg2018_08_17_08_55_18_Autodesk_Inventor_Professional_2017_Bowl_Combine_idw.jpg

kelly.young has embedded your images for clarity.

Message 6 of 15

Can you Attach your assembly here?

Message 7 of 15

Sure thing.

Since I imported this from a stp214 format I suspect there is something corrupted in the geometry. It seems alright in the model but I don't know why it's causing problems in the drawing.

I've attached the part that the assembly is referencing. The same problem is happening with this too.

Message 8 of 15

While you wait for someone to diagnose the issue - I recommend that you install the Updates for your version of Inventor.

Message 9 of 15

@joel.rogersEPQWL wrote:

Since I imported this from a stp214 format ... 

Can you Attach the original STEP (*.stp) file?

Message 10 of 15

Oh boy. Looks like my version is very out of date. I've requested the updates from my IT group. I'll let you know when they're installed.

Message 11 of 15

Hello @joel.rogersEPQWL it looks like you have bad bodies for Solid1. Without the original files it is difficult to say what happened but with the file you attached it will not include Solid1 in the section.

If you can attach the originals it might be easier to figure out how to make it usable. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 12 of 15

I keep trying to post with the step file as an attachment but it keeps refreshing every time I click "post".

Message 13 of 15

Hi Joel,

Do you mind sharing the files here or directly with me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 15

Just E-mailed you.

Message 15 of 15

Okay. I played around with the native model some more and made some slight tweaks. One of the things I think that might have caused the issue is that one of the vanes in the bowl model has a surface that runs parallel (and flush) to the cutting surface. I revolved the vanes a few degrees and the imported model seems to be sectioning correctly now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report