Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2010 creating sketch when opening step file

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jdowns67
598 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor 2010 creating sketch when opening step file

We have been having this extremely annoying problem that nobody here seems to be able to figure out. On some of our machines, when you open a step file, Inventor will create a new, open sketch. It's extremely annoying when you have a step file with many parts that translates into an assembly with every new part having a new sketch. Has anyone run into this before?

JD

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi jdowns67,

Thinking the issue might be with the original file, I went to this link and downloaded the 3D Step file, but could not reproduce the problem with an old installation of Inventor 2010:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91523a633/=srhfx2

Two things to check come to mind:

* Have you compared all of the settings in the Import Options dialog between the Inventor installs that create the sketch and those that do not?

To check this:

Select the STEP file in the Open dialog box, and then click the Options button at the bottom of the dialog.

* The other thought that comes to mind is that some of your Inventor installs are pointing to different default templates, and the ones that are bringing in the sketch, have a sketch already present in those templates. Recall that when we import a STEP file Inventor uses a part file template named Standard.ipt found in the default template locations folder.

To check this:

Go to the Tools tab > Application Options button > File tab > Default Template option.

Recall that if the active project file specifies a template location in its settings, it will use that template location instead of the one specified in the Application Options setting. So make sure all of your Inventor installs are using the same active project when testing / trouble shooting this also.

My guess is this is template related, but I would check both things: import optiond and template location setting.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 3

The template issue fixed it. Thanks so much. Somehow we were using different templates.

JD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report