Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intellectual property of created content

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Lewis.Young
200 Views, 4 Replies

Intellectual property of created content

Hi All,

Just asking for a bit of advice regarding the intellectual property of some content i've created.

I've been working with Inventor for a UK company for about 4 years, over that time i've created hundreds of renders, custom appearance/material libraries, macro tools etc..

The majority of the renders are of the products, and I was explicitly tasked to create them, so I'm assuming they own that. However, the libraries/macro tools are things i've created out of my own interest (with no instruction from the company and not detailed in my job spec) which are now being used by employees to speed things up.

So, can i legally remove my code and the libraries from the work PC/server drive? I appreciate that this might not be the best place to ask, but this example is quite specific and i'm hoping someone else has gone through a similar situation

Lewis Young
Windows 7 x64 - 32GB Ram
Intel Xeon E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz
nVidia Quadro M2000 - 4GB
Inventor Professional 2017.3
Vault Basic 2017
3ds Max 2018

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: Lewis.Young

Did you create the libraries/macro tools at their location using their hardware/software while on the clock?

If the answer is yes, they own it all. Otherwise, better to ask a lawyer.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 3 of 5

@Lewis.Young 

No matter if you did this on your time or at work..  If you used company asset (computer/software) to create that content, most companies view that content as their..   But we are not lawyers or don't know your company guidelines and etc.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 5

@Mark.Lancaster @Ray_Feiler Thanks for the advice guys. The content was made on my personal PC outside of work and then brought into work on a memory stick, so i'm pretty sure i'd be in the right to take it back.

But yeah, i'll definitely talk with a lawyer to give myself some peace of mind before I tell the company!

Lewis Young
Windows 7 x64 - 32GB Ram
Intel Xeon E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz
nVidia Quadro M2000 - 4GB
Inventor Professional 2017.3
Vault Basic 2017
3ds Max 2018

Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Lewis.Young

Hi Lewis,

Indeed, seeking professional legal advice is better. Another thing to watch out is that somebody can claim that the skills you accumulated to create the content were part of the company's properties.

Best wishes,

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report