Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importance of Sketch Symbol Definition Constraints

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
kmiller
394 Views, 2 Replies

Importance of Sketch Symbol Definition Constraints

Hi all, 

I did some searching, but wasn't able to find much.  So we have a bunch of sketch symbols that are defined we are going to be storing in symbols library for use on our drawings.  Within the definitions of these symbols the sketches are not fully constrained and some of them require a lot (100+) dimensions.  I know constraining sketches fully in general is a huge best practice and preached during training.  However, is there an exception to this with sketches that define sketch symbols?  Or can not having these fully constrained cause drawings to be unstable and slow at responding?  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: kmiller

Hi @kmiller ,

I know that sketch blocks ( in a part) are fine to be under constrained and that the solver does not look at the under constrained geometry once it's in the block, and I think sketched symbols are pretty much the same in the regard. 

To be safe, you could always use the Automatic Dimension and Constraints tool to lock them down also...

....in the past I have used this and just unchecked the Dimension checkbox and let it apply only automatic constraints and then added a few key Fix constraints to "nail" everything down.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

image.png

Message 3 of 3
kmiller
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Oh thank you.  this will work good for what I need it to do.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report