Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic Form Driving Excel

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
chayman
1097 Views, 8 Replies

iLogic Form Driving Excel

Hi there,

I have created an iLogic form at my top level assembly (TLA).

Additionally, I have an excel file that contains all the TLA parameters (width, height, length etc).

What I am trying to do within this iLogic form, is control my excel spreadsheet through Inventor (via form) for the convenience and accessibility that it provides. However, when I change the parameters (in this case width, length and height) through the iLogic form it won't update the TLA nor the excel spreadsheet parameters.

I know I am missing something here...any push in the right direction would be appreciated.

I have attached screenshots of my forms for your viewing.

Craig H

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
PaulMunford
in reply to: chayman

You might find it easier to hold your shared parameters in an empty part file rather than an excel spreadsheet. iLogic will cope with this much easier.

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 9
chayman
in reply to: PaulMunford

So basically you are suggesting that I create an ipt and add all the User Parameters I require in this ipt file.

Afterwards, I would drop it into my top level assembly and use this as my 3rd Party reference? Or am I thinking of doing this differently than what you suggested?

Message 4 of 9
stuart_smith

As Paul has said it would have been easier to create the parameters in a part. 

But you can write to excel, this knowledge page has details on writing to excel: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015...

Thanks

Stuart Smith

Group Data Management Consultant

stuart.smith@graitec.co.uk | www.graitec.co.uk

Blog: https://www.graitec.co.uk/blog/blogger/smith

Did you find this reply helpful? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Graitec Manufacturing Blog: https://www.graitec.co.uk/blog/categories/mechanical

Message 5 of 9
chayman
in reply to: stuart_smith

When I write the parameters to a part and link them to my top level assembly, it won't let me edit the parameters through the iLogic Form.

It's locked as a "read only" and it won't let me disable that. 

How would you recommend me linking the ipt file (with my user parameters) to the iLogic form to drive my parameters?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hi,

A Spreadsheet that is linked to parts/assemblies etc, is read only by default and cannot be changed.Your only option is to write to the spreadsheet to change values. So if all the parameters in the iLogic form you showed in the original post are in fact the spreadsheet parameters they wont change.

This leaves you with three options:

1) Don't use forms and edit assembly via spread sheet

2) Create all the parameters again in the top level assembly (only the parameters that need to change in spreadsheet) > create form referencing new parameters > Use iLogic to push assembly parameters to the spreadsheet.

Sample: GoExcel.CellValue("3rd Party:Embedding 4", "Sheet1", "A1")= head_rad

3) Drop spread sheet and create all parameters in a part > delete link to spreadsheet in all components> link new part parameters to all relevant components > use iLogic to drive part file containing all parameters

4) Secret fourth option! (well not really secret!) Create all parameters in assembly and use iLogic to link parameters from assembly to all relevant components (again this method requires removing the spread sheet currently driving components)

Thanks

Stuart Smith

Group Data Management Consultant

stuart.smith@graitec.co.uk | www.graitec.co.uk

Blog: https://www.graitec.co.uk/blog/blogger/smith

Did you find this reply helpful? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Graitec Manufacturing Blog: https://www.graitec.co.uk/blog/categories/mechanical

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Stuart,

I know this thread has been silent for a while now but I was wondering about one thing:

For the procedure you describe as option 3, is it possible to selectively lock some of the user parameters in the part file containing all parameters?

I would like to lock some parameters while allowing users to edit others.

Many thanks for your help. 🙂

Message 8 of 9
PaulMunford
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

It's not possible to lock parameters. Using an iLogic form can help because it shows the user exactly what they need to change, but it won't stop them 'fiddling'.

You could set up some iLogic that monitors parameters that you don't want changed and then automatically re-sets the values if people try to change them, but there is no way to lock the iLogic rule that is doing this!

In the long run, it might just be better to train your users  to use your iLogic forms...

'Don't let a management issue become a Technology issue' - Mark Kiker

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

Hey Paul,

thanks for your reply 🙂

I will indeed try to train them. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report