Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transfer project to older version of inventor on a different computer?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
plyleraaron
573 Views, 1 Reply

How to transfer project to older version of inventor on a different computer?

I have inventor 2019 at home, and 2017 at school. I made my model at home, and I wanted to work on it at school, so I packaged it and sent it there. But when I try to open the file, its says 'a compatibility pack is needed to open this file' and it says the update I need. In the autodesk app it says 2017 is up to date though. I tried to update it through the website but its confusing on how to do it and It said I was up to to date. So is there a way to get the latest update for 17 or a way to make the file on my end change to a 17?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
johnsonshiue
in reply to: plyleraaron

Hi! In general, older Inventor release cannot open files in newer Inventor release. So, at school (2017), you will not be able to open the files you create at home (2019). I suggest you keep them in sync. You are a student entitled to education license. You should install a copy of 2017 at home.

There is a reference workflow allowing Inventor 2017 to reference 2019 part and assembly files. You will need to install 2017.4 update and also have 2018 with 2018.3 installed. This is called Future CAD workflow. You can reference part and assembly files saved in 2019 in 2017. But, you cannot modify the 2019 files.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report