Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Render with information & logo?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
henryjoseph9804
673 Views, 17 Replies

How to Render with information & logo?

Hi Everyone,

I am a quite inexperienced when it comes to rendering in IV, the most I know is to use ray tracing or render in the IV render environment.

I currently have been tasked with creating render of some equipment but must have a logo on it and a table of information. 

Could anyone advise the best way to do this? I was thinking of rendering the image and then opening it up in paint, placing the logo and table and then saving. I'm not too sure what the consequences will be. Whether it will lose resolution or stay the same?

At the end this needs to be printed and placed on a wall so Ideally I don't want to lose too much resolution.

Thanks 

IV 2023

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Adding external logo and table is easier to do in another software, but I don't think Paint is the way to go, as you will not be able to save in a format that allows you to go back and edit later. If I'm working with images and text (the table) I prefer Adobe InDesign. But it's a bit pricey though and has a learning curve. You could actually use MS Word or OpenOffice Writer (free!) if your requirements are humble.

A free alternative to InDesign is https://www.scribus.net/

Message 3 of 18

Thanks for the response. I understand your concern on paint. Will definitely keep it in mind.

Do you think excel would be a good alternative to word? (We don't need much, just a render, table and logo)

Thanks for the recommendation! Will have a look.
Message 4 of 18

Yes, Excel will most likely work just fine. Give it a go! 

Is this for presentation, PDF or print?

Message 5 of 18

Hi!

You can place the image logo in a sketch to add the logo to the model, but... to render the model + logo, you have to use DECAL tool first, using the image you placed in a sketch and selecting the face where the logo must be.

CCarreiras_0-1686655700357.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 18

Excel seems to be working pretty well!

It will be for print, so ideally it must be a high quality render that doesnt lose resolution.
Message 7 of 18

@CCarreiras Thanks for the response.

It's not exactly what I am looking for but it's good to know so thanks!

I was actually looking to do the below with a high quality render to print in A3

Message 8 of 18

For a 300 DPI print on A3 you need a rendering at around 3500 x 5000. If you use a white background you could get away with much less as the actual product covers a lot smaller area than the printed sheet. And by having a white background, you'll save a massive amounts of ink, too! 😄 

Message 9 of 18

That sounds like a feasible idea! Currently my background is gradient.

Is IV capable of rendering 3500 x 5000 ?

Ink isn't too much of an issue as we'll be paying someone to print it for us, but I would like the best possible render. And if using a white background will achieve that then I should probably give it a go.
Message 10 of 18

If you use ray tracing to render, after rendering, you can export the image with the dimensions you need:

For large sizes, i use the TIFF format:

Tip: there's an option to clear the background (to white)
If you want a transparent background, you have to select PNG image format

CCarreiras_0-1686666234332.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 11 of 18

You can use graphic editors to compose the final image.
I don't suggest MS PAINT, i would go with Photoshop or the free option GIMP, since these programs work with layers here you can have the participants in each layer and tweak position, transparency, etc.

But... you can keep it simple... i use a lot PowerPoint (everybody knows how to use PowerPoint) with nice results, just resize the page and make your composition:

CCarreiras_0-1686666612071.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 12 of 18

Thank you for this, I really appreciate the in-depth answer. So then 5000 x 5000 would be more than enough for a A3 print?

I've been using excel but will start using power point now.
Message 13 of 18

I would prefer to keep it simple and avoid 3rd party software's where possible.
Message 14 of 18

So for some reason, When I ray trace. I select the "High" option and it only goes to 230 seconds, I then select save and select the TIFF. format. It doesn't allow me to select the options button as it is still greyed out.

Any idea why?
Message 15 of 18

Okay so I found it, I had to let it do the ray trace and then go to files, export as Tiff and then I had the option to dictate the pixels.

Is it normal for it to take a long time to "Generate Offscreen Image"

Message 16 of 18

Yes, it's normal to take some time, since it has to process a different (bigger) resolution from the "standard resolution".

For A3 resolution, you will need images with:

Horizontal mode: 4960 x 3500 pixels(300dpi)

Vertical  mode: 3500 x 4960 pixels(300dpi)

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 17 of 18

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 18 of 18

Okay noted, will give it another shot.

5000 x 5000 was taking way too long, I was able to do 3000 x 3000 and it already looks a lot better!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report