Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to refer to BOM item number in a text box?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1866 Views, 7 Replies

How to refer to BOM item number in a text box?

In an inventor drawing, how do I refer to an item number in the bill of materials in a sentence?

That way if the BOM changes, the text box is automatically updated to the correct item number without having to hard type it in.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

The only possible solution to this (outside of programming/ilogic) is to use the Inventor Technical requirements.

Reviewing this article https://synergiscadblog.com/2015/10/30/inventor-technical-requirements/ and the information at the end of the article where that workflow is covered.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Annotate ribbon I get, but ESKD tab?  where is it?

Message 4 of 8
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

As the article indicates you need to load the related add-in (while in the drawing)

2018-12-19_10-28-25.jpg

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 8
NigelHay
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

That seemed like a brilliant idea so I activated the ESKD support. It's easy to create notes but the appear in a weird typeface & I can't see any way of changing it. I also realised that, once activated, ESKD hijacks the standard leader notes & makes them Technical Requirements, they also display in a strange way so I ended up turning off ESKD. I've gone back to our previous method of having a drawing with all of our standard notes which get copied & pasted into other drawings.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: NigelHay

I was able to change the style of the typeface in the notes to conform with the rest of my drawing. 

However, I did end up turning it off as well, because I could not figure out how to change the typeface of my Datum references once placed.

Also, you can only refer to an Item number if it is ballooned on the page you are putting the note.  I always put my notes on page 1, with the BOM where there are no balloons so it really wasn't working the way I wanted it to anyway.

Message 7 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: NigelHay

@NigelHay wrote:

That seemed like a brilliant idea so I activated the ESKD support. It's easy to create notes but the appear in a weird typeface & I can't see any way of changing it. I also realised that, once activated, ESKD hijacks the standard leader notes & makes them Technical Requirements, they also display in a strange way so I ended up turning off ESKD. I've gone back to our previous method of having a drawing with all of our standard notes which get copied & pasted into other drawings.

Yes.. it certainly has its "cons".. 

Its the only way to achieve what this post is about though..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 8
DarseyG

It's crude, but if your text is on the same page as the model, you can balloon the part and stretch the balloon all the way over to the text location (where you'd leave a space in the text line for the balloon) then edit the leader to effectively disappear. I've seen this with a premade balloon style. Though if you add/remove parts from the BOM to cause the numbering to change, it's also likely the image will move, also moving the balloon's position anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report