Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to import sat in proper units

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
kmeldfreyssinet
3322 Views, 9 Replies

how to import sat in proper units

Hi,

I have a probleem with importing .sat file created in autocad.

I have an Autocad model with 3D solid in it. I concider units in Autoad as m (meters). I then export this 3D solid to .sat and try to import it in to Inventor.

After import units are mm. I tried to chcange this in import options but it seems to have no influence on solid size.

How can I cope with that, other than scalind everything in AC and exporting again?

Regards,

Cris

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
evelynyin
in reply to: kmeldfreyssinet

Hi Cris,

you can't change the solid size if you didn't change the sat file.

However, you can simply change the file unit: open your sat file with a text editor, change the first parameter of line 3 to "1" from "1000". This change will change the file unit from Meter to Millimeter.

Capture.JPG

If your problem still exists, would you please attach your file here.

Thanks,

Evelyn

Evelyn Yin
Yiyun.Yin@autodesk.com
Software Quality Assurance
Manufacturing Product Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 10
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: evelynyin

Hi,

I did found my workaround using step file in wchich I can specify import or export units, but it is 2x bigger than .sat.

since I do not want or need to change size of my solid size, because it's size is ok. How can I specify in Autocad that this solid schould be exported in m instead of mm?

Autocad dose not specify "unit" only alows to specyfy how this units are handeled (decimal, engeenering...) So it is up to me to decide if I concider 1 as 1m or 1mm or 1in.

Regards,

Cris

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

@kmeldfreyssinet wrote:

..How can I specify in Autocad ....

-dwgunits (with the - sign) read the command line for instructions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks.

Cris

Message 6 of 10
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: JDMather

Hi,

I tried witch setting units with -dwgunits command as I was sugested but it did not solve sat export-import problem.

Even if dwg units set to meters sat imports as mm regardles of settings in AI import options.

Any other ideas other than editing sat file in notepad?

Regard,

Cris

Message 7 of 10
evelynyin

Hi Cris,

My understanding is you think the unit of sat file exported by Autocad should be the same as the display unit ( “Meter” in your case), is that correct?

But in fact, it will always be (and only can be)Millimeter or Inch(Based on the unit is Metric or English). This is a known limitation of AutoCad.

So when you want import to Inventor with the expected size/unit, you have to either scale your drawing or change the sat file unit.

Thanks,

Evelyn

Evelyn Yin
Yiyun.Yin@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10
kmeldfreyssinet

Hi,

And what about unit specification in import settings of AI? there is an option to "set units" on import but apparently it dose not work.

Schould it or this is olso some option that i can not use?

Cris.

Message 9 of 10
evelynyin

Hi Cris,

As I suggested, you could attach a file here for a better understanding, or you could send it to me. But since your question is quite general, I guess a simple cube can explain my understanding.

Let's suppose you have a 1x1x1 cube in AutoCad. As I mentioned above, AutoCad will always export it as 1x1x1 mm^3.

So in the sat file, the length is 1mm. Inventor shouldn't change the data (and wouldn't). The import unit in Inventor is setting the document unit of the imported file. It will do unit scale automatically. So when import this cube in Inventor with different units, the length could be 1mm, 0.1 cm, 0.001m, etc. No matter what unit is used, it should be that long.

If you want a 1x1x1 m^3 cube in Inventor, you have to update this SAT file.

Thanks,

Evelyn

Evelyn Yin
Yiyun.Yin@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
kmeldfreyssinet

OK thanks.

Cris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report