Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cut a shaped hole on a curved surface

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
peter.knightK8QEB
523 Views, 3 Replies

How to cut a shaped hole on a curved surface

Hi all,

Sadly a fairly basic user of Inventor 2021/Win10 here. I'm trying to make a model that involves cutting a hole in a curved surface. I can define the cut I want using 4 custom planes, but each end of the cut "box" is actually a curve, because the those 2 planes are 3 deg off from vertical. I can't figure out how to define the curve of each end so as to project a cut from a 2D plane tangent to the curve, so I tried to define the cut by planes - but now I can't figure out how to use those planes to define the cut. I hope the attached pics and model show what I mean.

FYI, the part in question is a glassfibre panel, but I've modelled it as sheet metal because after making the cut, I want to flatten the panel, export a DXF from the face, laser-cut it in thin card and use the card as a template to mark out the actual cut on the panel.

Please could some kind soul advise as to how best to do this?

Is it better to model this as a surface, cut it, convert it to a solid, then to sheet metal for flattening?

Thanks for any help you can offer

SheetMetal Perspective.jpgSheetMetal RHS.jpgSheetMetal Front.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

You can use Split and select the body option to break the body into multiple parts at each plane.  For the first 3 splits you should use use the option to Keep both sides.  The last split you can use to remove the hole.  You can then combine the bodies back into a single body.

SplitDialog.JPG

HoleCut.JPG

Scott Parker
Principal Software Engineer
Message 3 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: peter.knightK8QEB

Use the Sculpt tool, change to Remove (instead of Join), pick the four workplanes, OK.

SBix26_0-1631840401277.png

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022.1.1 | Windows 10 Home 20H2
LinkedIn
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 4 of 4

Hi Peter,

On top of what Scott and Sam already suggested, you may want to try Cut Normal. I believe you are trying to create a cut so that a square rod can go through, right? Then Cut Normal is the option to use. Just create the square profile. Use Cut command -> check Cut Normal -> Through All.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report