Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert annotation units?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
17113 Views, 12 Replies

How to convert annotation units?

Hello. I changed the units in my model from inches to MM but when I create annotations they are still in inches and I cant figure out how to convert them to mm. If anyone knows how to do it I would appreciate. 

-Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Annotations in a drawing?
You need to use an English template if you want inches.
Message 3 of 13
jhackney1972

Normally the drawing template is configured to be inches or millimeters (or some other units).  When you select the template and place your part on it and annotate it the dimensions follow the dimensional style assigned to the template.  If you have a drawing already started using an inch template, you can change the style to another style standard by using the Tools -> Document Settings command and under "Standard" select another active standard from the list.  This will not change existing dimensions placed with the original style of the template, you will have to select them, right click and change the style associated to each.  You can select as many as you like at one time.

Drawing Standard.jpg

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! Is it in 2D drawing or 3D model? If it is former, you need to change your annotation standard (go to Manage -> Style and Standard Editor). If it is latter, go to Tools -> Document Setting -> Standard -> Annotation -> Active Standard. You may want to make the change in the template so you don't have to change it next time when you create a new file.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

It was in the 3D model this was the solution I was looking for. Thank you so much. 

Message 6 of 13
mdavis22569

I have a few issues where with mine ..

I changed it over to Metric and some if it didn't change, they stayed English dim's ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mdavis22569

Hi Mike,

The behavior does not make sense to me. Could you share an example?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 13
mdavis22569

I'll email you ... I did make a PR 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mdavis22569

Hi Mike,

I think I know where the problem is. The unit is indeed sort of mixed. For general dimensions, the unit is dictated by Active Standard. For hole notes, the unit is by the part unit (Doc Setting -> Units). For spec holes, the unit is from the thread table.

The 3DA behaviors are consistent with drawing annotation though. It is a bit confusing because you can have DIN 3DA standard, while part unit is set to inches. But, it is always better to keep everything in sync. I don’t think this is a bug.

Many thanks!

Johnson

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 13
mdavis22569

Yeah, @ChrisMitchell01 set me straight too ..

I agree it should all be sync, but I can see some (IE me) get confused at first....   But I now have clarification so if I have anyone asking in the future ...

Thanks, guys as always! 

Mike

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
robin.engel
in reply to: jhackney1972

So this seems to work fine for switching between millimeters and various imperial options, but I cannot find any templates that allow me to display the annotations in meters or centimeters. Do I have to create new templates for that?

Message 12 of 13
jhackney1972
in reply to: robin.engel

I will not be able to answer your question effectively at this time.  I am traveling and donot have access to a computer.  I will possibly get back to one by Wednesday,   You are appending your question to a old post.  Create a new one with your question and you will probably get a quick answer and not have to wait on me.  Sorry I could not help right away.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
johnsonshiue
in reply to: robin.engel

Hi Robin,

Yes, it is true you may need to create custom standards. Inventor is a mechanical design and manufacturing tool, driven by common standards (ANSI, ISO, DIN, JIS, GB, and so on). These mechanical design standards are either in mm or inch. "Meter" and "Centimeter" don't seem common in mechanical design.

Could you tell me what exactly you are trying to model?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report