Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add a raised edge to a curved surface to align 2 parts(solids)

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
_KevinH_
788 Views, 14 Replies

How to add a raised edge to a curved surface to align 2 parts(solids)

Hi All,

My first post but I'm really scratching my head on this one... I'm designing a fuselage for a model airplane which is supposed to be 3D printed. For this reason I've split the fuselage into 2 solids so I can print them separately and glue them together afterwards. Now, I would like to add an extended edge to one of the parts in order for the second part to "slide over" and be aligned with the first one. On the included part file I've turned on the visibility of the 2 sketches that contain the lines where that "raised edge" should be. I've tried with sweep but since the fuselage is constantly changing shape I'm unable to get it to stick to the surface. Then there is also the problem of the second part which is a separate solid and seems to be ignored whenever I want to extrude, cut, etc...

I'm really curious how something like this can be solved.

Thanks for helping me out!

Regards,

Kevin

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: _KevinH_

How about the Plastic - Lip command? It should be helpful for you!

Xun
Message 3 of 15
IgorMir
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Hi Xun;

Do you really believe - one tool you have mentioned will fix the OP's design issues? You must be very optimistic if you do. 

Cheers,

Igor.

@Xun.Zhang wrote:

How about the Plastic - Lip command? It should be helpful for you!

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 4 of 15
JDMather

I would have done a simple Revolve on one sketch (and no extra workplanes) instead of Loft1.

Is there a logical reason that Sketch7 is off-centered rather than symmetrical?

Symmetry.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 15
_KevinH_
in reply to: JDMather

Yes indeed, a revolve would even have been better. I started originally with a different design and this one required the work planes, I guess I didn't consider using the revolve tool on this design afterwards.

Thanks for spotting that mistake, it indeed needs to be symmetrical!

I'm still trying to find out how I should do the "edge" I was talking about. I'm now thinking to do the split of the fuselage at a later stage and first draw the "edge" with the sweep tool and make it a separate solid, then do the fuselage split and then combine the edge with one of the 2 halves.

Let you know if it succeeds... Still open for different approaches though

Message 6 of 15
andrewdroth

This is kind of a clunky way to do it, but hopefully it makes sense.

Split one of the bodies by the amount you want to overlap. Then copy the overlap section so you have two identical bodies (there's no easy way to do this, so you have to copy object and then do a stitch on the new surface). 

After that you just need to modify the height and width to suit your overlap, use offset or direct edit. I added more material to the inside, but you could split the difference of the part thickness to save weight.

Then it's just a matter of using combine/cut to trim away the interference material and join the two haves to the interface solids. 

Hopefully that makes some sense...

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

Message 7 of 15
JDMather

When I get a chance - I will show my way.

It will be 1000.4 times easier.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 15
SBix26

Here's a pretty easy solution, using @Xun.Zhang 's suggested Lip tool.  As others have suggested, there are a lot of problems with this model, but once you get those resolved (probably start over with what you've learned so far), the Lip feature should make it pretty easy to get the alignment features you want.

Edit: I used Delete Face with Heal to get rid of the small end slivers left after placing the groove.  You may think of other ways to design that joint so that the alignment feature isn't so visible.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.2 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 9 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: SBix26

Hi! On top of what experts already mentioned, I would use Guide Rail Sweep to create the first body instead of Loft.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 15
andrewdroth
in reply to: SBix26

@SBix26 I think there's an issue with the lip technique, Unless you can get the pull direction to work.
See section image below.

lip issue.PNG

@JDMather How'd you make out with yours?

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 11 of 15
SBix26
in reply to: andrewdroth

Good catch, @andrewdroth .  It was a pretty quick and dirty effort, obviously.  Using the Y axis as the pull direction gives somewhat better results with a pretty consistent minor protrusion into the interior all around:

Alignment Lip.png

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.2 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 12 of 15
_KevinH_

Your result is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

I'm still curious to see the 1000.4 times easier solution as well 😉

Message 13 of 15
andrewdroth

No Problem

@_KevinH_ wrote:

I'm still curious to see the 1000.4 times easier solution as well 😉

Me Too!

@JDMather, don't leave us hanging like this!

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 14 of 15
JDMather

I have 1000.3 other things I need to get done first.

Could be a while...  ...I need some help here.

Message 15 of 15
_KevinH_

So... I don't know if this is a 1000.4 times easier solution but I had another look at it and came up with this way to do it. The end result is the same but it doesn't require any stitching and copying of objects. Again, thank you very much andrewdroth for helping me out! I'll post a picture once I have the model printed.

Happy new year everybody!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report