Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
95006 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 1941 of 2,219
leowarren34
in reply to: hubertbelka

Hi @hubertbelka,

As for processors - the 10900K Turbos to 5.30GHz compared to 4.7GHz on the 3900XT. Provided you kept your CPU cold enough to reach Turbo the 10900K would probably be your best bet. The base clocks are both so similar it's not really a concern.

If you wanted to save some money you could drop to 8 cores depending on what other applications you use as well opt for the Ryzen since Ryzen has almost unrivalled price to performance.  

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 1942 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Thought I'd create a better mock-up of the choked thermal design, it deserved something a little more tidy.  I've honestly never seen anything like this before.

Hey @buck_BIMBOX , if you stand by your claim that this is 'fastest production PC ever built' - send one over, I'll thoroughly objectively test and review it on the YouTube channel in front of tens of thousands of your target market... if it's as good as you say it is, then credit where credit is due.

Heat Map.jpg

Message 1943 of 2,219
egecikrikci

I'm building a new Workstation for our design engineer. While researching the hardware requirements of Inventor, I learned that Inventor would not benefit from high amount of CPU core most of the time and it requires high freq. CPU. So I decided to overclock an I5 5900k to 5GHz and while researching for overclock I learned that some of the programs would highly benefit from RAM freq. also. So I started wondering if Inventor also would benefit from high RAM freq, and how much it would.

So I did a test on my personal Gaming Rig 😂

Build is: Ryzen 1600X, water-cooling, NVIDIA GTX1060 6GB, DDR4 16GB Corsair CMU16GX4M2C3000C15@ 3000,

256 GB M2SSD, 1TB HDD

and test covers: OC @ 4GHz and RAM @ 3000, OC @ 4GHz only, RAM @ 3000 only, Stock and RAM @ 2133

This table, you can see that even your CPU is not overclocked you can gain advantage from highspeed RAM

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 03.28.14.png

Here you can see how much OC would improve performance

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 03.26.58.png

And here you can see how much OC and RAM update would improve performance

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 03.27.11.png

Question: This next build that I'm working on will be only used for engineering design on Inventor and no render or anything else. Poorly 5.000-50.000 part machine design. They want to have fast orbiting and zoom in zoom outs while designing. This is what they are telling me. But they probably what to have fast 3D to 2D drawing. (last test on Benchmark)

My initial build was like this:

• i5 9600K @ 5GHz
  • Noctua U14S
  • MSI Z390-A PRO
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB @ 2400MHz CMK16GX4M1A2400C16
  • Radeon RX 580 8GB
  • Adata M2 SSD
  • WD Blue 1TB x2 (1 for backup)
  • COUGAR 650w 80+ Gold
  • Corsair 270R(+3 more fans)

I dont have any price limitations but might a challenge to build this PC much cheaper and faster then DELL i7 8850H 4.3 GHz Workstation Laptop. 😅😃

It's clear from previous posts on this topic and also from my tests that RAM speed is very important. But fast does it have to be? I want to buy the optimum one.

Also as I said, money is not a huge issue. And also I think DELL should have cost around 2100$ and this build costs only 900$ so I got another 1000 to spend to beat that i7 @4.3 GHz. I'm open to any suggestions since you guys are very experienced on Inventor Workstations. 

Message 1944 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: egecikrikci

How many times did you run those tests? I think you might have freak data there.

In your RAM tests, all the test times where pretty much exactly the same from test to test within margin of error, but the first modeling test had a 2 second gain which skewed the final test score.  I personally don't look at that data and conclude that RAM speeds made any kind of difference, I see a freak test run of 5.98 or a slow test of 7.22 which was the difference between them.  If you ran both tests on a 10 cycle loop I would suspect both would be around the same, sure maybe the higher frequency RAM might be slightly faster but it's fractions of a second per test which isn't conclusive of anything.  

Unfortunately this is one of the issues with this iteration of the bench test, minor fluctuations in test runs can have a big impact on a small IPI number.  And this isn't a fault of the test but Inventor is so unreliable to test, run to run variation is so big that it fogs over any gains you might get from some minor hardware upgrades.  i.e. you might see a 0.75s variation from test to test when doing the modeling test, just because Inventor is so sensitive to core load.  But then a RAM frequency bump might genuinely only yield a 0.5s gain in that test... but how would you know if the test fluctuates by 0.75s already? 

We're both (me and Pieter who made this test) working on a new benchmark test (each working on a different new one) to fix these issues, but for now this is what we have and it's been pretty **** good so far but hardware has kinda come on so far that it's pushed it to the limit.

Message 1945 of 2,219
egecikrikci

I ran all once except "Stock - 3000 MHz RAM" one 3 times and very interestingly they all were very close. So increasing memory speed definitely slowed down Model Rebuilding. I can share them later. Or actually I repeat this test but as you said there should be a high margin error that really wouldn't let us see the improvement. But again I can reconfigure this test for 10cycle x3 for each.

I was expecting an increase in the difference between stock and OC because CPU working at 3.6GHz can be okay with 2133MHz but working at 4GHz might need faster data flow from RAM. (I don't really have in-depth knowledge in Computer Science but that was my hypothesis and motivation to do this test. Also, this is from Autodesk Inventor's required hardware list "Choose RAM that transfers data at the same frequency as the processor".)

Can you please commend on my potential build too. I got really confused about choosing CPU and also overclocking after researching about Inventor's crash potential. It seems like Inventor likes to crash. I can update my build in 1600$-1800$ budget. Since our company is small and I always will have direct access to the PC, I thought I can get away with autosave add-on but it appears that it's not the smartest thing to do to avoid crash damage. I mean the smartest approach should be to eliminate crash risk, right? If ECC RAM and Xeon will really help with that, I can switch to that side too. 

Message 1946 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

To be clear though, there's still a possibility that RAM speeds will have a positive impact on Inventor in some use cases, but it's unlikely that InventorBench would detect that as it's almost entirely compute based.  I'm no computer scientist or silicon/cpu engineer but I can't see how RAM speeds would have any influence over the CPU computing a single task once it's been queued then begun.  

Regarding your build, I've done a lot of work on that already.  It's all documented here Autodesk University Las Vegas Downloads 

Message 1947 of 2,219

Here is a benchmark from an HP Z2 G4.

It only has the onboard graphics due to it is used as a jobserver (BOM-jobs etc). 

cad005.JPG

Message 1948 of 2,219

@Neil_Cross if I may be so bold but since you mentioned that upcoming update on the Benchmark test, I think having a comparison database (like V-Ray benchmark does) would be super awesome. Again variables such as RAM or SSD or motherboard might not be healthy to include but comparing CPU scores would be really beneficial.

Message 1949 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

@egecikrikci already on it mate, the online leader board is already agreed and is 100% happening.

Message 1950 of 2,219
mluterman

wow! so pretty that I thought it was a rendered image of a computer!

Message 1951 of 2,219
buck_BIMBOX

I just actually saw this image. I have been using my phone. I understand where your coming from, however, the airflow actually goes the opposite way.  Air is pulled in the bottom up into the case, then pulled out the back. The case is vented to create positive pressure so that the rear fans aide in pulling air through the radiator. I hope that makes sense. Also - These are all aftermarket high-performance fans. They run close to $24/fan, but run near silent over 3200 RPMs. 

Message 1952 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: buck_BIMBOX

V1QvF3d.png

@buck_BIMBOX  You'd have to reverse them/turn them all upside down to do that, it's standard on every fan ever made that the back of the fan is exhaust.  The top of the fan in your image is pointing up into the case which 100% means the flow of air is exhausting out the case.  Unless that's just a reference picture and you build them differently to that...

edit - and agree yes Noctua fans are generally highly regarded as being some of the best on the market, but when arranged like that they won't do a better job of cooling anything than any other fan at any price point.

Message 1953 of 2,219
buck_BIMBOX

It's a reference picture taken by our chassis manufacturer. The airflow is
steady up and out the back.
Message 1954 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: buck_BIMBOX

@buck_BIMBOX wrote:
It's a reference picture taken by our chassis manufacturer. The airflow is
steady up and out the back.

It looks like my diagram was pretty accurate though based off every picture and video in existence showing the inside of the real product?

2020-06-23_22-15-18.jpg 

Message 1955 of 2,219

I usually run a Thinkpad P52 (Quadro P3200) and looking for a lighter-weight (under 3 lbs), less bulky option for being mobile and leaving the P52 at my desk. I was concerned with the graphics cards until I ran a comparison of the Quadro vs the Intel UHD630, both are installed in laptop. 

Yes the Quadro is faster, but for what I do, but I didn't perceive much difference running the Intel. Assemblies are usually well under 500 parts. So that said, I was hoping to compare the P52 + Intel 630 (5.4 lbs) to a Surface Laptop 3 (2.84 lbs) or even Surface Pro 7 (1.74 lbs). Both these have Intel Iris Plus graphics.

Does anyone know how these machines fare with Inventor Bench?

P52 with Intel IrisP52 with Intel IrisP52 with Quadro P3200 (maxQ)P52 with Quadro P3200 (maxQ)

Message 1956 of 2,219

Here are the results of a Surface-Pro. Great, lightweight machine to take to site meetings if the models aren't too large and there is a second monitor to connect up with. 

mikejones_0-1593522133498.png

My everyday working laptop is a little quicker though

mikejones_1-1593522667913.png

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 1957 of 2,219
frank.blom

Ok, things start to roll here.

I have to give them a list of the specs i want.
Then they will look if it fits in the investment plan and order a new pc.
I think it needs to be a HP computer.
But i will give a list of the workstation slayer pc.

Are there components you would suggest upgrading on your workstation slayer pc?
Like a ryzen 7 or something else to make it future proof (3-4 jears at least)

My current computer is a HP Z420 from 2012
Knipsel.JPG

Thanks

Br,
Frank

Message 1958 of 2,219
frank.blom
in reply to: frank.blom

Our autodesk supplier (gold partner) has looked to my pc through teamviewer.

He advise to buy a new pc.
I get a quotation/ price in the mail later today.

This are the selections he made in the HP configurator.
HP Z4 G4 WKS
HP Z4 G4 90 750W Chassis
Intel Xeon W-2125 4.0 2666MHz 8.25 4C CPU
32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666 DIMM ECC Registered Memory
NVIDIA Quadro P2200 5GB FH 4DP PCIe x16 GFX
HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 1TB TLC SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64 Workstations Plus

It costs almost 3 times the workstation slayer, will it be worth it?

Message 1959 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: frank.blom

That's an absolutely awful spec, that Xeon W2125 is already 3 years old.  Nobody should be buying 4 core CPUs anymore either.  Do not buy that.

Go for a HP Z2 G4 rather than a Z4 G4, and ask for the Xeon E-2288G CPU.

Message 1960 of 2,219
tom_vierling

I agree. I had that same Z420 workstation (E5-1650 V0) up until three years ago, went with a 7700K at the time but the 8c/16T E-2278G is definitely the best choice they currently offer (Though I wish HP would get off their ass and integrate Ryzen into the Z lineup already...)

HP Z240 Workstation i7-7700K, Nvidia Quadro P1000, Samsung 512GB NVME SSD, WD 1TB HDD, 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2400mhz, TriMonitor (1920x1080, 3840x2160, 1920x1080) Inventor Pro 2022, AutoCAD 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report