Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
94675 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 141 of 2,219
salariua
in reply to: blackmarket_riot

blackmarket_riot wrote:

Also while Skylake is an incremental improvment over our Devils Canyon apparently Intel have done some mad wizardry on it and invented some sort of inverse hyperthreading. Multiple cores can be used to replicate a single, bigger more powerful core. I'm not sure how well it actually works in real world work but it's certainly a step in the right direction!

Got me reading on all sorts of forums and blogs about the Inverse Hyperthreading. rummor dismissed by Intel while individual tests show better performance however some report that his has to do with Global Shortage of Skylake processors, and anouncing this will increase the demand !?!?! and it also seems that this needs to be activated on the OS side. wonder if it's just for i7 or m i5 will do?

And then there's VISC soft-machines:

“The VISC architecture achieves 3-4 times more instructions per cycle (IPC), resulting in 2-4 times higher performance per watt on single- and multi-threaded applications. Moreover, VISC uses a light-weight “virtual software layer” that makes VISC architecture applicable to existing as well as new software ecosystems.”

Sorry for the detour, got excited for a minute.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 142 of 2,219

Just for general interest here is a comparison of 14 different machines, 2 of which are laptops (the ones that don't have NVIDA cards).

Machine Specs.png

Click for full size image

Message 143 of 2,219

I went AS FAR AS I could from the Quadro. I have a K5000 at work and I am not happy with it.

Import a simple autocad sketch into a part and leave it visible, then place the part inside an assembly and try the spin and pan. I haven’t run the numbers but sometimes it seems like 1fps. 😞

The gaming card on the other side is running smooth and I see no lagging at all.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 144 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: salariua

@salariua That's weird, the K5000 is a hefty powerful card.  What are the rest of the bits in that PC? I used MSI Afterburner to track real time FPS in Inventor, if you want to see what the actual FPS as you're going.  I found the built in Hz display enabled through the registry to be irritating and too jumpy.  I wouldn't give up on the K5000 though, it sounds like something else isn't right

Message 145 of 2,219
AlexFielder
in reply to: Raider_71
Message 146 of 2,219
salariua
in reply to: Neil_Cross

I wish you were right! Take a look at the chart posted by Curtis or my specs at work, and compare FPS with ANY gaming card. This has been proven before, gaming cards raking higher than workstation cards and on the gaming cards, ATI (AMD) ranking higher than Nvidia (Intel).

"

The gaming graphics cards beat each company's workstation boards by a significant margin. Nvidia's GeForce GTX Titan doesn’t do well at all, ending up behind the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition. AMD's FirePro cards also excel in this benchmark, which is probably due to the many hidden surfaces involved in the workload (generally considered a strength of AMD's architecture).

"

workstation gaphics

and

Newer cards included 

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 147 of 2,219
Raider_71
in reply to: AlexFielder

Hi @AlexFielder

Thats what I currently use to get the system information. The Win32_Processor class does not report the overclocked CPU speed unfortunitaly... 😞

Cheers

Message 148 of 2,219
salariua

I seem to have Object Shadows on now! In Tools, Options, Display, Settings (Display Appearance) I see Object Shadows ticked.

It's been annoying me all day and then I realized something must have changed with the speed test or from the several crashes I had today.

Anyone?

Edit: Ambient shadows as well it seems.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 149 of 2,219
Torben.pedersen

here are Recommending settings to optimize performance of Inventor.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

I hope this was helpfull.
Did I answer your question please accept this as solution.

if you liked my answer feel free to give me a Kudo 🙂
Message 150 of 2,219

Test before recommended settings.

Capture2.PNG

Test after.

Capture6.PNG

Discuss

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 151 of 2,219
karthur1
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Am I looking at this right?.... only marginal gains on the CPU test and it actaully got slower on the GPU test.

If that is correct, it would be better to go back to the "Before" setup.

Kirk

Message 152 of 2,219
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: karthur1

Yep, that is what happened to me at least. It is nice to have this tool to compare what settings actually help performance and which ones don't. Smiley Happy

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 153 of 2,219

@Neil_Cross the Auto OC utilities often pump too much voltage into the CPU and generates a huge amount of heat! I've got the same cooler as you H100i and I'm comfortable at 4.8GHz with my manual OC (90-95 C under stress testing though!). 4.6-4.7 GHz is pretty typical for the 4790k to max out at, you might have gotten lucky and nabbed yourself a good overclocker!

@salariua that's interesting what you saying about the inverse hyperthreading, how significant was the increase people were seeing in their tests? The Skylakes seem to be topping the charts in this benchmark, and some with much lower clock speeds!

Message 154 of 2,219
blair
in reply to: blackmarket_riot

Here's my Mac Book Pro, running El Capitain with Parallels 11. with Windows 10. I figured the performance would suffer more than it would with all the overhead that's required.

Capture.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 155 of 2,219
CadUser46
in reply to: blair

The CPU tasks seem very close to mine in Bootcamp but the gprahics must suffer slightly more in the VM.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 156 of 2,219
blair
in reply to: CadUser46

Yes, with Parallels, you can set the number of cores and amount of memory and graphics memory you want for your virtual machine. Since you are running a O/S within another O/S, you end up splitting your resourses across a couple of machines. In affect your are running two machines on a single hardware.

My main machine at home is running Boot Camp as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 157 of 2,219
RobertWK

perf.JPG

Inventor 2016, 64-bit.

Message 158 of 2,219

Hello,

how can i get Inventor bench?

Message 159 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: mojtaba77f

@mojtaba77f wrote:

Hello,

how can i get Inventor bench?

First page of this thread, first post, and click the dropbox link 

Message 160 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: RobertWK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report