Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn off the geometry Nodes in tube and pipe runs

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
karthur1
984 Views, 11 Replies

How do I turn off the geometry Nodes in tube and pipe runs

I like to keep my assembly views clean and uncluttered.  Especially by sketch geometry (like the nodes shown below).  Is there a trick to turning off the workpoints that are created when I make a pipe run?

I know that I can turn them off via View > Object visibility, but I had rather turn off in the 3D sketch.  It is just time frustrating to have to drill down inside the sub to do that.  Is there a way to have them turn off automatically like when the route is populate?  Another thing that is aggrivating is if I do turn it off, then edit the Route, it is turned back on again, so then I have to go turn it back off.

TandP_01.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: karthur1

I'm not sure why you have so many work planes in your T & P runs. I don't use the work planes, it's ease to place the grounded work points and use the 3D drag or use the dimension function (small little dim icon). This allows you to select the work point and dimension to model geometry. The only work planes I get are at the ends of the hoses when they are created.

capture02.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
karthur1
in reply to: blair

Blair,

Those are actually workpoints, not workplanes.  The workpoints are generated from the route that I create.  In my screencast, I highlight them at the very beginning of the screencast below.  After I create a new route, I have to turn them off, otherwise they will bleed thru like they are in my original post.

Also notice that I initially have the visibility of the route turned off, but then after the edit, it turns itself back on.  I then have to turn it off again. Maybe that is just how it works, but it seems they would go back to the state before the edit.

Another issue that you mentioned.  When I am creating my route, I use the "offset" and then select the model geometry.

2017-02-07_0735.png

When I do that and then the model geometry moves, I have to manually change the route and it is no longer the correct distance from the face.  Is this the dim function you are talking about?  I would like my route to be fixed to the geometry, so if it moves, then the route will adjust. In the very beginning of my screencast, I move the geometry, then I have to edit the route.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 4 of 12
blair

Use the "Dims" within the define route, this will fix the grounded work point to the model. I've also added a pdf from AU2015 on flexible T & P

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 12
karthur1

Blair,

Thanks for the SC and the pdf.  I noticed that even in your video when you finish the route, the "Route Points x" are bleeding thru also. If you would have zoomed out after you finished you would see the points along the route.  In order for them to not show, I guess we have to turn off the Route.

Kirk

Message 6 of 12
blair

Yes, the points are always there. The 3d sketch lines don't get consumed as in IPT features. Generally once you return into the model environment you shouldn't see the work points.

I make good use of the View-Reps and place only my T & P runs in them for drawing purposes. We use DWG TrueView on the production floor with industrial tablets and we export our drawings and models to DWG. It lets them see the runs and fitting orientation. 

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 12
karthur1

Sort of off topic.... but since we are discussing T&P, I have a question about workflow. When I create a route using the standard "Hydraulic Hose- Male Straight" style, after I pick the end point, I can right click and select "Intermediate Point", then lay down some points in the middle of the route where I want the hose to travel.

2017-02-10_0939.png

You had sent me some of your flexible hose styles some time ago (been a few years probably).  If I use one of those, say the "Nylon Airline 1/2" Black", I don't get the opportunity to place an intermediate point after I place the last point.  There is no "Intermediate Point" in the context menu.  Any idea why that is?  I can go back and add in points like you show in the screencast, but it quicker to add the intermediate points.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 8 of 12
blair

Good questions, I'd have to dive into the Styles for that specific size. It's been about a decade since I created that Style.

I've never been one for the intermediate work points or using the Automatic route in Rigid routes. While creating a route, you can create an "Offset" from a surface, this works fine but the "offset" doesn't stay fixed and you can only "offset a work point from a single surface/plane.

You can move/drag the work point which I don't like. I guess this is why I go with the grounded work points and the dims. First I know that the points won't move unless you RMB on them to bring up the move Triad and you can "Dim" them to specific dimensions so all the runs are straight and the same distance.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 12
karthur1

I just noticed that the "Hydraulic Hose- No Fitting" style doesn't give the option of "Intermediate Point" either.  Wasn't the Nylon Tube style created form it?  Whatever is causing this to happen was probably just brought forward from the "Hyd Hose- No Fitting" style.

I am trying to create a style for each size of the hydraulic hose, i.e. 1/2, 5/8, 3/4.... etc. The diameter of the 1/2 is actually 0.88.  I have created a copy of the "Parker Hydraulic Hose - No Skive", which is in the Content Center.  When I use this in my new style, it does not bring in the correct size hose.  It is working off the OD and not the nominal size of the hose. Is there a way to make it select the ND and not the OD of the tube?

2017-02-13_1055.png

Thanks, 

Kirk

Message 10 of 12
karthur1

I was able to get it worked out.  Rather than copying an existing style to create my new one, I started from scratch.  Then I selected the "Parker Hyd Hose - No Skive" from the library browser and everything fell into place then.

Kirk

2017-02-13_1633.png

Message 11 of 12
blair

Great! Holiday here and I just got back in, saved me having to tear the table apart to see what I did all those years ago.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 12
salariua

Sorry, I am late to the party, as usual, i am scanning trough every day / month / year (in this case) depending on how busy I am  

Those are work points you see and they are created above the route sketch but inside the route part.

The route has work points / work planes and a 3D sketch where you define your path.

You can turn then off from within the main assembly or when editing the route but if you deleted those route segments as you do when you change route path then those workpoints and worplanes will become orphaned and can't be turned off except for my method shown here.

This is particularly annoying when using zoom all because Inventor will include these work features in the zoom operation instead of zooming to existing geometry.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report