Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I select a single body?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2481 Views, 2 Replies

How do I select a single body?

Hi, I'm very new to Inventor and have a simple question. I have a document with two bodies. I would like to move one of the bodies from its current location, but I'm unable to. If I click the green botton on top, in the option 'Select bodies', both of the parts are selected. If I click on 'Modify' > 'Move Bodies', it also selects both bodies, and the cursor to manually select the bodies is disabled. Could this be because I have constraints that I'm not aware of? I'm attaching the file. Thanks!

Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Looking in your history tree - you have only a single disjointed body.

Right click on the Revolution1 and select Edit Feature.

Select the New Body option.

Solid Body 1.PNG

In Inventor a part is a part (just like the real world) - file format *.ipt (Inventor Part).

In Inventor an assembly is a collection of parts (or sub-assemblies) as components (just like the real world) - file format *.iam (Inventor Assembly).

It looks to me like you really intended for this to be an assembly of two (or more) parts, so I would create these as separate parts (just like the real world).

You could do this as multi-body solids in one part file, but I don't think that is your true Design Intent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

edit: Ha ha.. I see JD modified his post and now I'm like a Parrot... 

As stated your part only has a single body (even though it looks like 2 you modeled them all under the single body.. disjointed).. (see the solid bodies folder in the top of the model browser) 

singlebody.PNG

I think you may be going about this incorrectly though.. 

While multiple solid bodies is something Inventor can accomplish and is used often I would think that as a new user what you really wanted to do was model 2 parts (ipt files) and then create an assembly (iam file) of those parts vs trying to do everything in a single part file. 

Multibody modeling techniques are a more advanced functionality in Inventor and not something I would recommend a new user start with..

Each "real world" part should get its own "part/ipt" file in Inventor and then you place those parts into an assembly file and constrain them just like in the real world..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report