Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I convert a .dwg to .ipt?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
scoopthepoop2000
15940 Views, 8 Replies

How do I convert a .dwg to .ipt?

How do I convert a .dwg to a .ipt using IV 2017?  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Message 3 of 9

You are not talking about some sort of 3D dwg are you?

Message 4 of 9
salariua
in reply to: scoopthepoop2000

Are you taking about Mechanical Desktop Files MDT? or plain 2d Autocad files?

in the open file dialog you can choose options and opt for Open or Import. Open will allow you to view and interrogate the file while Import will allow you to chose layers, bodies, and where to import them , eg: import it as sketch in new part, import the solids as new part, import them as an assembly or import it as drawing entities, title, block, border, symbols, etc.

if you are looking to associatively use the 2d dwg to create 3d models then use the dwg underlay option. 3D model tab, create panel, or Manage tab, insert panel.

do a search on youtube or google on dwg underlay, and post back if you still have questions.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 5 of 9
JDMather

Attach the *.dwg file here and end all doubt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
scoopthepoop2000
in reply to: JDMather

See attached it is a simple bearing.  It has been a while since I tried to do this. I tried the import option and the program froze. Then I tried to insert the sketch in the .ipt and it still froze.  The drawing isn't that complicated and I don't know if there is something wrong with the program or my technique. I then thought that maybe it takes 2017 longer than it did previous versions so I let the program try to import all night. After 10 hrs still nothing.

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

@scoopthepoop2000 wrote:

... After 10 hrs still nothing.

Try this -

Make the Inventor window very small and move away from the center of your screen.

Now go through the import process.

Do you see a window like this pop up  (if it does - it would have been hidden behind your Inventor window).

DWG TrueView error.png

If so, click OK and then the import will proceed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
gerard.payet
in reply to: JDMather

An easy way to so is via AutoCAD:
1) Open your 3D *.dwg

2) Use the EXPORT command and choose *.iges as option

3) Import your newly created *.iges file into an Inventor Assembly. Inventor will create an *.ipt of your *.ges file.

That's an easy way to do it and it works. Importing directly into Inventor isn't always easy and is often resulting in a lot of errors and frustration.

Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: gerard.payet

Hi! Besides IGES, you may also consider using ACISOUT or STEPOUT in AutoCAD. Both commands handle solid bodies translation very well.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report