Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with complex lofts

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
agewirthKAH53
353 Views, 4 Replies

Help with complex lofts

Hi, I am a high school freshmen and i am trying to make a complex loft that has edges as it goes along but i have been unable to do this, if you have image.pngany advice that would be awesome! image.pngimage.pngimage.pnghere i just did many separate lofts but its only an approximate shape and i want it to be smoothimage.pngIn this i just tried to do a normal loft the whole way through but it is smooth on all the parts when i want some to have edgesimage.pngfinaly i tried rails but these did not work and gave me the error message  "Create loft feature failed" 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi there,

It is my understanding that the rails for lofts have to be smooth (meaning no sharp edges).  You do have sharp edges in the areas shown below. sharp.JPG

I suppose that one work around for your specific case would be to create a number of different lofts with rails, each beginning and ending at the "points".

loft.JPG

Message 3 of 5

One approach is to create a surface loft for each side and boundary patches on the ends.  You could then stitch them together.

I've attached an example where I've lofted between what you were using as rails.  I didn't use the 2D sketches.  I also didn't use rails.  If this doesn't match what you are looking for close enough you can do point mapping between the opposite sides of the loft or use the 2d sketches as the rails.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Parker
Principal Software Engineer
Message 4 of 5
hncarle
in reply to: Scott_Parker

If you loft the whole thing in one go all the edges will be smoothed. 

We do this all the time when making chutes and hoods in sheet metal.  Our core has to have sharp corners so we do it in stages. For those sections to have a sharp corner you will have to loft it in sections.  

Message 5 of 5

Thank you so much for the help!

your second suggestion worked!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report