Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help subtracting Mesh from Solid

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
gobluejd
884 Views, 2 Replies

Help subtracting Mesh from Solid

I have half a car body and trying to Boolean Subtract from a solid (rectangle).  I want to take the car and subtract it from the rectangle, leaving just the rectangle with the body subtracted.  I have tried several things including using mesh mixer but it is limited to 5000 triangles and this has over 500,000.  I am not sure what the next step is.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I have attached a screen cast of the parts.

For some reason the screenshot was not appearing in the "Insert Screencast" so here is link....

http://autode.sk/2EJPZ7o

kelly.young has embedded your screencast for clarity

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: gobluejd

Hi Jeff,

If you are a subscriber, you can go to the following link to download Mesh Enabler. This will help you convert Mesh to Composite Surface. Then you can stitch it into a surface body and cut the solid.

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=6950391119076900441&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

One thing you might consider is that the triangular mesh you are seeing in Inventor precisely depicts how the model looks like. Some software rounding the edges and faces creates an illusion that the model looks smooth. The facets are there. If you use it to cut, the facets will be on the solid body too.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
gobluejd
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks.  I did in fact use that (I called is mesh mixer) and it will not do it due to the amount of triangular surfaces (maxes at 5k, I had 500k).  I will just try and do in StarCCM CFD software....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report