Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helical Pattern - normal to path

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
416 Views, 4 Replies

Helical Pattern - normal to path

Hello Community,

I'm quite new to Inventor (started learning last week) and I came across a problem.

While trying to model the tracks of a roller coaster, to make a loop I'm trying to do a pattern towards a helical path.

It almost worked, the pattern created is following the orientation of the helical sketch, but only in one direction.

Is it possible to have the pattern following a path and add a constrain (maybe?) to always be normal to a face?

Is there another way of doing it?

Please find the IPT and screenshots below.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Ps. I'm using Inventor 2017.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

Your model is seriously underconstrained, so it's not likely to behave very well for you as you proceed with your design.  This is pretty basic stuff.

In any case, the immediate problem that you're having is that your Extrusion 1 feature was created on the XY plane, which is not perpendicular to the helix-- it's off by about 8.7°.  I rearranged your feature tree a bit, created a workplane perpendicular to the helix at its end point, then redefined Sketch 2 to use that workplane instead of XY.  Now the pattern occurrences stay aligned properly to the helix.  I didn't fix the other sketches, though. 

I recommend that you start over and really constrain each sketch completely before you create a feature with it.  Note that the helix is also not completely constrained.  You'll need to create and include some other sketch geometry to help with that.

Helical Pattern.png

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Thank you very much for the input @SBix26.

I'll try to replicate your solution.

On the topic of underconstrainment, do you have any recommend tutorial on working with constrains/planes?

As my first time working with this software (or any similar, I only have experience in AutoCAD) I really don't know which constrains will work better/worse for my goals and when to apply them...

Message 4 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

Tutorials provided with Inventor 2017 should be very helpful to get you started.  Check out the Get Started tab.  There are also a lot of tutorials on YouTube, of greatly varying quality.  Check out The CADWhisperer and TFI, especially this one.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Once again, thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report