Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problem using Inventor. Purple lines

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
257979FNMFQ
508 Views, 8 Replies

Having problem using Inventor. Purple lines

Hello everyone. I'm having huge complications with Inventor. I've been using ''CATIA'' for a long time and now I'm using Inventor. Why are all my lines purple instead of black??? I know that a sketch must have all the distances dimensioned using dimensions. But when I used a dimension to get the lines black, they are still purple. Why? I don't know how to use geometric ties. Could that be a problem? Please help...

Thank you all for your help and support!
PS: I am sending a picture of my script too, so be sure to check it out! 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Frederick_Law
in reply to: 257979FNMFQ

Drag the lines and see if they move.

Check your color setting to see what they mean, my guess is "Under Constrain":

SketchColor-01.jpg

Message 3 of 9

You are probably missing constraints for the midpoints of either end. Inventor needs a combination of dimensioning and constraints (point to point, tangent, etc.) to fully define/fixate all sketch lines without leaving spare degrees of freedom (DoF).

Gabriel_Watson_1-1696604662617.png

To check which DoFs are left, use the bottom status bar button while in sketch mode/environment.

Gabriel_Watson_0-1696604653016.png

Message 4 of 9
Ray_Feiler

If the horizontal line is a projection of the x axis, make sure your center line has a collinear constraint.

If the final part is going to be revolved around the center line, then you only need to draw the upper half.

imageMarkup.png

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 5 of 9
Ray_Feiler

Something like this.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 114034.png

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 6 of 9
The_Angry_Elf

@257979FNMFQ - First, Welcome to the boards.

Do yourself a huge favor and first, reach a hand around to the back of your head and press the reset button.

You are no longer using Catia and you must, must forget how you did things in Catia. Trust me, the more you fight it and or attempt to make Inventor work like another CAD program, the more frustrated you'll get. I came from being a Power User level on CADDS5i to Inventor release 2, a huge change.

Next, take the time and work through the on-board tutorials, even the basic ones, especially the basic ones. Build a solid foundation of the basic and the rest will come much easier.

Go to the Tools tab on your ribbon menu and select the "Tutorial Gallery"

Tuts-01.JPG

If such is not shown, right click an empty area of the ribbon menu and select the panel(s) you want shown. Hint: do the same but de-select those commands that you know you will not be using. This will un-clutter your menu with commands you don't need. For example: We don't do any Mold Design, so why have such on the menus?

Tuts-02.JPG

The tutorials will walk you through numerous different tasks from novice to expert. YouTube has some great content as well, you'll even see some of us on there (I have a ton of vids I still need to post there...if I ever get the time).

And of course, feel free to ask questions here. There's a ton of great posters here that are more than willing to help.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 7 of 9
IST-WK

^This.

Also, sketch entities should be constrained via dimensions to either a plane or an axis in two directions to make them "fully constrained" in Inventor.  Additional constraints such as parallel, perpendicular, tangent, colinear, etc. can all have an effect on whether or not the sketch is fully constrained.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7770K CPU @ 3.60GHz
64GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, Version 22H2 - OS Build 19045.3636
Autodesk Inventor Version 2024.2 - Build 272
Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Do you have overlapped lines on top of one another? Try enabling Degree of Freedom display (right-click -> Show All Degrees of Freedom). Is the display reasonable?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
yahyayaksiz

if your lines havent fully constrait, inventor doing your lines purple color. you can open show degree of freedom and see which lines havent fully constraited or look at screen's right bottom. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report