Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame generator option "Get frame member's part number from content center" off?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1171 Views, 9 Replies

Frame generator option "Get frame member's part number from content center" off?

Hello,

I'm using a lot of parts with the same dimensions but different colors and materials. I have been using the same Frame Member to create parts and I've changed the part number and description later.

However since the "Get Frame Member's Part Number from Content Center" option has been On by default, every time I make changes to the sketch, the part number gets updated.

1. Is there a way to have the setting OFF by default?

2. Is there a way to uncheck this setting later from a number of frames perhaps by using Ilogic or a Plugin?

I'm using the latest Inventor 2019.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jan_priban
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

- uncheck "Part Number from Content Center" - image bellow

- iLogic can manage part number, so usage iLogic for existing frames could be solution as well. I could help you here, but not sure, what you want exactly - replace PartNumber by iLogic in existing frames IPT? Give me example please

Regards

Jan Priban

PNFromCC.png

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jan_priban

Thank you for replying.

We wish to use the frame generator to create multiple profiles that will have the same shape and dimensions but different part number due to color, part length, material. I work in a field where the skeleton model gets changed during the project and I don't want the part number to update from content center after I've changed it in BOM. I know of this "part number from content center" setting but I was wondering if it was possible to make this setting Off by default. Multiple designers making multiple frames over weeks and it's bound to be forgotten at some point.

Also I was wondering if it was possible to change this setting to Off in multiple frames after they've been created with the setting On. For example I have assemblies that have multiple frames in them. I have to make changes to the skeleton model but when I do, the part numbers all get updated from content center and then I have to change them back again which is tedious and can lead to human errors.

- Tomi Haavisto

Message 4 of 10
jan_priban

Hi Tomi,

I just verified in R 2019 it works this way: For newly inserted frames you can define usage of PartNumber from Content Center as I described above - there is check box in the Insert dialog.

For existing frames situation is similar: In Change dialog there is same checkbox for usage PartNumber from Content Center, so unchecked it. The pity is you have to change frame by frame, multi-select is not useful here. 

So:

1. From Design tab choose Change 

2. Select frame you want to modify usage of PN for

3. Uncheck PN from CC + Apply/OK

4. When you change skeleton, frame get changed as well, but Part Number will be same/intact

Regards

Jan Priban

PNFromCC1.png

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks for taking the time to answer the question although I'm familiar with those methods. I'm guessing I'll have to live with the fact that I'll have to press that little button each time I use FG.

Thanks anyway!

Message 6 of 10
jan_priban

Verified just now - not necessary to check/uncheck this every-time. State is persist in Inventor session. So until you restart Inventor, this checkbox remains uncheked if you unchecked it once. Yes, after Inventor restart it is checked "By Default" again.

Jan Priban

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Oh, ok. I see that my problem here seems to be that the settings don't persist after I close Inventor. So I'm facing some sort of bug instead of a feature?

Message 8 of 10
teun_thyssenWEPYH

I cannot find this checkbox in inventor 2023. What's the new method to do this?

Message 9 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! On Inventor 2023 and later, you may need to click on the three-bar menu on the upper right. The option should be there.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 10
CStilesCARE

Just to add a picture reference, here's a snip showing how to toggle the option in 2023.

Note that, for me at least,  right-clicking members from the browser tree and selecting "Edit with Frame Generator" would let you click the 3-bar and check/uncheck the "Use Part Number from Content Center", but clicking "OK" would NOT actually update the setting.

I HAD to click the "Change" command from the ribbon and change the settings through that method in order for the change to take effect.

CStilesCARE_0-1685485999921.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report