Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator Assembly to go to next Assemby

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
serpennica
277 Views, 5 Replies

Frame Generator Assembly to go to next Assemby

Inventor 2017,

How does the  structure work when using a frame generator FG assembly and placing it in another assembly that has other parts. Creating a top level Assembly.

I have been told the FG structure will not hold together.

What the fix is: We are taking the FG Assembly and from within that there is a sub level FG assembly and putting that in the next higher assembly. Is this the way to go.

First Image, Building the FG standard setup here. Below Model Browser has FG associated assembly with XXXX-XX Frame0001. This is inventors program build.

first image, FG buildfirst image, FG build

From above we take the XXXX-XX Frame0001 from the window explorer and place it in a next level assembly.

We do not place the FG assembly. We place the sub-assy from within.

Below the XXXX-XX Frame0001 is place in new assembly. Is this wrong.

build2build2

Any comments, I will try to keep up with this post. Thanks for the help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: serpennica

Hi! If I understood how Frame Gen workflows worked, you can certainly insert the Frame Gen subassembly or assembly as a whole into another assembly. However, the editing ability is still confined within the assembly where the Frame Gen was created originally.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
serpennica
in reply to: johnsonshiue

good to see the my info came across ok,

So you say it is ok to use the sub assembly in upper level. thanks good to know it will work that way.

This seems to me, not a standard way to do it.

Have you seen many errors when using the Main FG assembly in upper levels. Our  group is in discussion about using the main FG in upper levels, stating it will have crashes.

How do you use the FG in upper assemblies.

thanks

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: serpennica

Hi! To leverage the existing Frame Gen assembly is fine. Like I mentioned earlier, the tricky issue is about editing. Frame Gen assembly is based on a pre-defined assembly structure like this.

Assembly -> Frame Gen Sub -> Frame members.

All the editing should happen within the assembly. If you insert the assembly along with the frames to another assembly, you want to make sure when you try to edit it, you still go back to the frame assembly and make change there. I hope it makes sense.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
swalton
in reply to: johnsonshiue

To expand a bit on @johnsonshiue's post:

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Assembly -> Frame Gen Sub -> Frame members.

^^^^^^^^ -> XXXXXXXXXXX -> XXXXXXXXXXXX

I find it best to pretend "Frame Gen Sub" does not exist outside of Assembly.iam because the only way to edit "Frame Gen Sub" and "Frame members" is from Assembly.iam.   Instead, I use the Assembly underlined with the ^^^^^ in my other designs. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 6
serpennica
in reply to: swalton

swalton; that replay is how I would prefer to use the FG.

Since there has been breaks in the FG assembly before, the FG sub assy was selected as the fix. Just don't know the history on that issue. And it is more difficult to isolate the assembly to make changes too.

If there is anything in print to tell me not to use the FG sub-assy that would be good to know.

Thanks for the comments.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report