Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat pattern giving wrong result

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
peterF4LYP
356 Views, 6 Replies

Flat pattern giving wrong result

Hi im trying to make a flat pattern of an extruded part that i have done before many times and now it does not want to work. Im still new to Inventor and im not sure where i am going wrong. Could be something simple.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: peterF4LYP

First of all, the part was not declared as a sheet metal part of the same thickness declared in the extrusion sketch.  Second, it is a continuous loop so it will never unfold.  I created a screencast of the process.  I did not know where you want to place the Rip, to break the continuous loop, I simply choose a convenient face.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7
peterF4LYP
in reply to: jhackney1972

Hi 

Thanks for getting back to me, when i do it the one end stays curved. I will try send a screen shot of it. There must be settings in the sheet metal defaults not allowing it to work. 

Regards Peter

Message 4 of 7
peterF4LYP

Thanks John

Came right, i went to Manage - Styles Editor and changed the default from 0.500 to 6.0mm and it worked. Need to buy you a beer. Thanks

Regards Peter

Message 5 of 7

Are your arcs and lines Tangent?

Is your Sketch1 fully defined?

Message 6 of 7

Yes thanks, got it sorted. Thasnks for the help guys.

Regards Peter

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is a case of imprecise geometry. To successfully build geometry in a mechanical CAD system like Inventor, the geometry has to be precise. It cannot just look right. It is because the imprecise geometry can lead to downstream modeling errors and manufacturing tolerance issues. Look can be deceiving.

There is a reason that JD and other experts stress the importance of applying proper constraints and dimensions in sketches. Inventor does support partially constrained sketches but it is better to be sure that geometry is precise.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report