Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Sheet Metal Flange Creation Import Pro-E .step File Has Bad Edges

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
prashant.kute
682 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor Sheet Metal Flange Creation Import Pro-E .step File Has Bad Edges

Hello friends. I am currently developing a sheet metal file in inventor from a reference file which is in a step format. The original file was created in pro-e.

Now, I have come across a flange I have no idea how it can be created. In the pictures below as you can see the lower edge of the flange doesn't come right out of the lower edge of the face, instead it has some offset of 0.2 mm. the bend angle is 90 degree.Capture1.JPGCapture.JPG 

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: Flange creation

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi! I have seen this kind of models before (from our competitors). The issue is probably on the face on the other side. Try using the Fillet in 3D Model tab to create a fillet on the flange edges. You might see the edges can be selected. It means the faces are not tangentially continuous. If you cannot figure out, please attach the part here so forum experts can take a look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for immediate reply. I tried the solution but I don't think its working. I am attaching the extracted part file from the original STEP file. You can see the width of sheet metal decreasing by 0.4 mm along the flange length.

Picture2.JPGPicture1.JPG  

Message 4 of 9
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: prashant.kute

Hi @prashant.kute,

I took a look it and it seems that those two edges are not parallel, the angle is 0.3 degree which means the flange should to cover a bit more (0.2mm) in your case to make it. Just guessing what you are asking - why the flange created in this case in Pro/E since I don't find any flange feature in your attached file. 

Hope it helps!

11.png

Xun
Message 5 of 9
IgorMir
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

While my post is a little off the topic (maybe I should have started a new thread) but here it goes anyway.

In the attached file the flange transition corner appears differently, depending on the material thickness. 

Attached images show what I mean. But the flat pattern itself is gap free for all the thicknesses . What gives?

Cheers,

Igor. 

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 6 of 9
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: IgorMir

@IgorMir,

Sorry to jump in.

It seems a bug to me, the behavior should not related to thickness at all. In another hands, the behavior should be consistent with your image thk 3. I will work with project team to understand it better.

Thanks!

Xun
Message 7 of 9
IgorMir
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Thanks, Xun.

@Xun.Zhang wrote:

@IgorMir,

Sorry to jump in.

It seems a bug to me, the behavior should not related to thickness at all. In another hands, the behavior should be consistent with your image thk 3. I will work with project team to understand it better.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: IgorMir

Hi Prashant,

The original part was not modeled correctly. The faces and edges are not perpendicular. This is wrong. Instead of finding out how it was created in Creo or how to fix it in Inventor, you might as well just recreate it precisely in Inventor. It is a lot quicker to do it in Inventor.

Hi Igor,

The behavior you mentioned here is not a bug. This is because the Bend Relief Minimum Remnant size (the groove) is set to Thickness * 2. The bigger the Thickness, the wider the groove is. When Thickness reaches 3mm or larger, the groove becomes 6mm or larger. As a result, the short edge would be completely cut away. If you want the groove to stay put, the value should not be a function of Thickness.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
IgorMir
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

I did play with the Minimum Remnant value. Setting it from 0 to 4 for example - creates a mini groove of 0.01 mm. no matter - what the material thickness is. Setting this parameter to 5 - delivers no groove on any of the material thicknesses.  And that is consistent with the setting the parameter parametrically to the Thickness. As soon as the value of the Thickness gets to 5 and above - the groove is gone. 

Yet on the Flat pattern itself - there is no groove in the corner no matter which material thickness is active.

Cheers,

Igor.

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Igor,

The behavior you mentioned here is not a bug. This is because the Bend Relief Minimum Remnant size (the groove) is set to Thickness * 2. The bigger the Thickness, the wider the groove is. When Thickness reaches 3mm or larger, the groove becomes 6mm or larger. As a result, the short edge would be completely cut away. If you want the groove to stay put, the value should not be a function of Thickness.

Many thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report