Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Transporting Protocol

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
663 Views, 6 Replies

File Transporting Protocol

Can anyone give me a good place to look for a file transporting protocol site. My company is looking or one

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Can anyone give me a good place to look for a file transporting protocol site. My company is looking or one

Can you define what "File transporting protocol" means to you and what aspect of that your company is looking to utilize..?

Are you asking for recommendations for software like Filezilla https://filezilla-project.org/ or Winscp https://winscp.net/eng/index.php

?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I'm sorry not explaining this better. We want to transfer large files to our customer, out email will not allow anything over 15kb. So, we are looking for software to do FTP.

Message 4 of 7
imajar

A couple things here:

In case you are not aware, "file transport protocol" is commonly known as FTP and is a specific way of sharing files, beware that ftp does not necessarily encrypt the file for data transfer (google ftp vs ftps to learn more).  A relative is "SFTP" and is more secure, there are other secure options.

Are you looking to access FTP?  If yes, then I agree with @mcgyvr .

If you are looking for a file sharing service, then dropbox is commonly used, pretty good and secure.  Other people on the forum could probably provide much better answers if this is what you are looking for.

If you want to host your own, then there are about a million questions to ask that would be more appropriate for an IT guy to address (such as do you make your FTP server accessible from your company domain, or only on your internal network, or through a VPN?).

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 5 of 7
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry not explaining this better. We want to transfer large files to our customer, out email will not allow anything over 15kb. So, we are looking for software to do FTP.

Thats better..

Do you have a server to FTP these files to? Then you would share the link to the file located on that server to the customer and they could download it...

If yes then filezilla or winscp are about as easy/free as you can get and very commonly used..

If you don't have a server then yes look into dropbox or other "File Sharing Service".. Maybe you have Office 365 accounts and if so you have "One Drive".... Maybe you want to look into services from Amazon too..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 7
-niels-
in reply to: mcgyvr

Just to throw this in here as well; there are also email services that let you send large files like "WeTransfer".
You upload your data to their server and the recipient can download it, files will be deleted from the server after a set period.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 7
plantech1

Have there been any advances with AutoCAD connecting directly to a secure ftp server via ftps?

Plantech.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report