Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few bugs in Inventor 2018

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
SharkDesign
1263 Views, 26 Replies

Few bugs in Inventor 2018

First off, I have this clipping error on the shrinkwrap command. 

shrinkwrap.PNG

Marking menu takes far too long to load which makes it pointless. It happens in every model or assembly when you use it for the first time. 

This was occasionally a problem on 2017, but only from time to time, this is every time I use it.

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

@SharkDesign

I saw the marking menu delay when I was testing the beta version on one machine but I don't really use that feature and it worked on another machine that I was testing it on.

But I never came across the clipped dialog as you are showing..  Graphics card driver all up to date?  Have you restarted Inventor?  Have you cleaned out your personal (%temp%) folder lately? 

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 27
kgilham
in reply to: SharkDesign

jameswillo,

What is your screen resolution?  Also have you set a custom text size?  These can sometimes cause this type of issue but it helps to know so I can try and reproduce it on my machine.  

Thanks,

Kyle Gilham
Customer Advocacy Manager
Message 4 of 27
SharkDesign
in reply to: kgilham

Graphics drivers are up to date. 

Resolution is 1920x1080

Text is set to 'smaller'

If I click the checkbox the value box appears, but the blue circle remains clipped. 

Expert Elite
Message 5 of 27

@SharkDesign wrote:

Text is set to 'smaller'

Hi jameswillo,

So as a test if you set the text to normal (or whatever it's called) do these issues go away?

I tried to use larger text for my laptop, and gave up and had to set it back because things were glitchy.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 27

Smaller is 100% and default. 

If I set it to 'medium 125%' it fixes the issue. There's no way I can work withe my text that big though!

I switched it back to default and the clipping occurs once again.

p.s. this is Windows 7 64bit

Expert Elite
Message 7 of 27

@SharkDesign wrote:

There's no way I can work withe my text that big though!

Hi jameswillo,

I have no sympathy for you. Smiley Tongue My eyes are getting worse and I need larger text.

Can you confirm that were you able to use small text (100%) in a previous version without issue? And that 2018 is handling this differently?

@kgilham,

Does Autodesk test using these other text sizes? As I mentioned before I've tried to use larger text (in versions previous to 2018) and found portions of Inventor to be unusable.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 8 of 27

You would expect it to work on smaller because this is the default size and the one that everyone has from a fresh install on Windows. 

I've always used 'smaller' and Inventor 15, and 16 definitely both worked fine on this setting, possibly even 14, but not sure if I had Windows 7 then. 

Expert Elite
Message 9 of 27

@SharkDesign wrote:

You would expect it to work on smaller because this is the default size and the one that everyone has from a fresh install on Windows. 

Hi jameswillo,

I would actually expect it to work with any of the sizes, but just FYI the default varies depending on the system. The default on the laptop I'm on at the moment is medium.

Text Size Windows &.PNG

Thanks for confirming that you used the same size on previous versions of Inventor and for providing the OS info.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 10 of 27

I can reproduce the marking menu glitch.

It only happens once, the very first time you start an IPT for example.

1. Close all files

2. Create a new IPT using standard.ipt

3. Right click in the modelling area and immediately begin moving your mouse and don't stop.  You'll be able to draw a picture with the marking menu trail.

4. It happens once, after that it seems to be responding as expected.

The behavior is exactly like if you were to hold the right mouse button and move the cursor.

Message 11 of 27
SharkDesign
in reply to: Neil_Cross

For me it only happens once, but it is on every new part or assembly I open, then it continues to work fine til I open a different part or assembly.

Expert Elite
Message 12 of 27
SharkDesign

Confirmed that the marking menu is slow to load on several machines at our work. 

Expert Elite
Message 13 of 27
kgilham

I have not been able to reproduce the dialog clipping on my end but I will still send it over to the team working on Shrinkwrap to see if there is something they can do to fix it.  Has anyone else on this thread been able to see this issue?  I have tried the resolution and text size on both Win7  and Win10 and do not see the same thing.  I forgot to ask if simply changing the dialog box size fixes this issue.  If it does this would be an easy workaround for this issue.  

As for the marking menu problem I have sent this over to our UI Development and QA team to take a look at.  

@Curtis_Waguespack to answer your question, yes we do try and test for these other text sizes and have tried to fix some of the issues you are referring to in the last couple of releases.  In 2017 and 2018 the scaling should be better, especially if you are on a 4K monitor.  As you know there are so many different monitor types and ways of configuring your screen that it is difficult to catch all of the exceptions.  If there are still areas that are still problematic let me know and I can look into them.  

Thanks,

Kyle Gilham
Customer Advocacy Manager
Message 14 of 27
SharkDesign

Changing the dialogue box size makes no difference.

I have 2018 running on Windows 10 at home and it does not clip. 

Expert Elite
Message 15 of 27
SharkDesign

Also getting clipping on contour flange in sheet metal. 

clipping.PNG

Expert Elite
Message 16 of 27
SharkDesign

Expert Elite
Message 17 of 27

I can reproduce that marking menu glitch too, also Hotkey dont work no more sometimes. Like CTRL+N for new document does nothing at startup.

After i click new once by myself the hotkey works again. Realy anoying....

Message 18 of 27
SharkDesign

@kgilham wrote:

As for the marking menu problem I have sent this over to our UI Development and QA team to take a look at.  

This info may help if they've not already fixed it. 

If you right click and pause then the menu will appear immediately. 

If you right click and immediately move the mouse in the direction you are expecting the menu to appear in, then it will take ages to load and you will get the spaghetti trails all over your screen.

Obviously the second method is much quicker and needs fixing as it worked fine in 2017.

Expert Elite
Message 19 of 27
Andrew2803
Message 20 of 27
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

This is a great finding! I am seeing the subtle difference between 2017 and 2018. On 2018, the same operation seems to bring up the entire right-click context marking men causing some confusion. This behavior does not exist in 2017. I am working with project team to understand this behavior better and see what we can do about it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report