Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEM: 2nd principal stress

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
vosssoeren
958 Views, 4 Replies

FEM: 2nd principal stress

Hi,

I want to do a simple FEM simulation according to the German FKM guidelines. For that, I need (additional to the 1. and 3. principal stress) the second principal stress to calculate the hydrostatic stress. I can get the 2nd stress by creating the stress tensor for my critical point and calculate the eigenvalues. However, that is a little bit annoying if I have to do this very often. Is there a workaround to get also the 2nd principal stress directly from inventor or the hydrostatic stress?

Can I get the value my a macro?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: vosssoeren

@vosssoeren wrote:

Is there a workaround to get also the 2nd principal stress directly from inventor or the hydrostatic stress?

There is now way to directly run a hydrostatic test in Inventor (without Nastran), but you can use this workaround.

https://youtu.be/FH7Esv8cI94

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
vosssoeren

Thank you for your answer and for this interesting video but my question is different.

The hydrostatic stress I am looking for is the average overall three principal stress in the material.

(sigma1 + sigma2 + sigma3) / 3

Inventor can show me sigma1 and sigma3 but I'm missing sigma2.

Message 4 of 5
swalton

@vosssoeren I think @JDMather 's reply was to remind everyone that Inventor FEA does not have a true Hydrostatic load.  

I've taken a brief look at one of my models.  I don't see a way to have Inventor FEA calculate the 2nd principle stress.

Inventor FEA is a very limited package.  If you need different constraints, loads, meshes, or results use Inventor Nastran.  Fusion360 might have some options too.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

@JDMather wrote:

There is now way to...

I meant to write, "There is no way to..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report