Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting intersecting volume from .stp assembly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
matheuswolffm
254 Views, 5 Replies

Extracting intersecting volume from .stp assembly

Hi, i've got a quite complex .stp extract from another CAD and am struggling to extract an intersecting volume from it. I want to be able to quickly assess how much space i've got between some of the components in a specific area of a vehicle, but sketch>extrude in the assembly environment only gives me cut options (the three ribbons for extrude/cut/intersect do not even show up (Figure 2). Simplifying the domain is also not working, but i'm trying to painstainkingly remove the parts giving problems.

Some of the exported .stp files are surfaces/composites, others are assembles and some are parts, if that information is worth something.

Figure 1 is a detail of what i'm dealing with. It's an underside view of a car, and i need to assess with some precision how much space is there between the many components.

Thanks in advance!

matheuswolffm_3-1707926935939.png

matheuswolffm_0-1707926620337.png

Labels (4)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Measure tool?

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 6
swalton
in reply to: matheuswolffm

Inventor assembly features don't let users add material to the model. 

You might try the following:

1. Create a measure part
  2. Model the rough shape you want to check with a rectangle or similar
  3. Place it in the assembly
  4. Use Copy-Paste Object to copy assembly surfaces into the measure part.
    1. https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-CDF3E462-6705-4645-A3B0-FBF972BD3224
  5. Trim the part with those surfaces
  6. You could also try adjusting the shape of the measure part to clear the critical components in the assembly.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 6

You need to derive the assembly in part and subtract parts/body from the "Volume" part.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-04363641-CCF9-4B2C-A3C4-AF676D6F7B1A

Message 5 of 6

too many pieces and not exactly good points for preview. lots of hosing etc that need to be accounted for as well
Message 6 of 6
matheuswolffm
in reply to: swalton

Sculpt seems to be working better than trim, albeit not perfectly, but yes it's doing the job! Thank you!

The derive solution didn't seem to work at first,  i'll try more later.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report