Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export 2D sketch points to DXF

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Walt_Jaquith
925 Views, 6 Replies

Export 2D sketch points to DXF

I have a client that's attempting to export a sketch from Inventor which contains 2D sketch points.  The resulting DXF file contains all the geometry except the points.  I've tried several methods and can't get the points to come through.

This is important for those working with CNC burntables.  The table can usually centermark the work on a point in the file.  Any help here?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Walt_Jaquith

You need to right click on the flat pattern node and select "Save Copy As" in order to get the "IV_ARC_CENTERS" layer which will add center points to any circles/arcs in the sheet metal part. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
Walt_Jaquith
in reply to: mcgyvr

There are no circles or arcs; just sketch points in a sketch.  Inventor will export all other sketch geometry, but evidently not the points.  When I convert the part to sheet metal, create a flat pattern and export the DXF from that, the points still don't come through.

The client doesn't want holes in the part.  Those get drilled later.

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe it will depend on what kind of points. For regular sketch points (like a dot), they are not exported. But, center points (like a cross) will be exported.

Try a few things.

1) Open the sheet metal part -> go to Flat Pattern -> right-click on the FP node in the browser -> Edit Flat Pattern Definition -> Punch representation -> choose one of the Center Mark options.

Or 2) Edit the sketch -> change the sketch points to center points.

If it still does not work, please share an example here.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
Walt_Jaquith
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I'll give that a try, Johnson, but as I said, this is not a sheet metal part.  The client does not want to convert it to sheet metal, or put punches on it.  It's a simple sketch with regular Inventor sketch geometry.  If you look at the screencap, you will see a sketch with  a rectangle, center points and regular points.  If you right-click on that sketch and select "Export Sketch As...", the rectangle will be exported to the generated dxf file, but the points of either style will not.  Why not?

It doesn't seem reasonable to me to have to convert to sheet metal and add unwanted punch features just to get this functionality.

Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! I cannot explain it. I think it is like an incomplete implementation. It would be great if there is an option allowing the points to be included.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7
tony_berset

Here is an existing idea for this lack, do not hesitate to vote : https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/points-and-centerpoints-should-export-to-dxf-out-of-a-...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report