Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error creating the lock file

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
tillytadpole
4660 Views, 14 Replies

error creating the lock file

Yesterday i started getting an error when opening templates. I am using inventor 2018. Any ideas on why i recently started getting this and how do i make it stop?

I go to File->New->choose either ipt or iam and get this error. After i click OK i can do everything as usual.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

@tillytadpole

My first suggestion is to make sure you have access to this location where your templates are stored.  Also confirm the person who has the ability to modify your templates didn't get the files hung in locked state.  Meaning can they delete that lock file that's indicated (if they are out of Inventor).

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 15

i do have access to the location where templates are stored.

how do i find out if the files are hung up in locked state? and how do i get this resolved if they are hung?

Message 4 of 15

@tillytadpole

If you exit Inventor, does that specified lock file disappear?

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 15

yes it disappears.

Message 6 of 15

@tillytadpole

Restart Inventor..  Are you seeing the message again?

@tillytadpole  UPDATE...  Also check the amount of free disk space for the network drive..

Mark Lancaster

Message 7 of 15

yes but only if i try to create a new ipt or iam. if i open an existing file i do not see the error.

Message 8 of 15

@tillytadpole

Did you see my updated posting about checking to make sure there's enough free disk space.  Open Windows Explorer and click on This PC or My computer and check to make sure your drives are not in the red zone for disk space.

2017-11-07_10-42-37.jpg

Meaning the drive usage (slide) would be in red..

Mark Lancaster

Message 9 of 15

ahhhh..... i am in the red zone 😞

im guessing this is my issue? if i free up some space should this resolve my issue?

Message 10 of 15

@tillytadpole

Yes..  But I was thinking more of the network drive location where your templates are located.  Make sure you clean out your personal temp (bring up windows explorer and at the top where your folder location is specified, type %temp%) folder.

Can you check your network drives (for the "red zone").

Mark Lancaster

Message 11 of 15

network is good.

Message 12 of 15
kelly.young
in reply to: tillytadpole

@tillytadpole did clearing out space fix the issue? Did you need more permissions/space on the network drive?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 13 of 15
tillytadpole
in reply to: kelly.young

@kelly.young I am still having the same issue. I attached pictures of the error and my system info

kelly.young has edited your attachment image for privacy

Message 14 of 15

@tillytadpole

I still think there's something wrong with that drive location..  For a test can you copy your templates locally and tell Inventor to use the local templates.  Does the same message appear?

Mark Lancaster

Message 15 of 15

i copied my template folder to desktop and redirected the path and it worked fine. I deleted the files from the network and replaced them with the ones i copied to my desktop and directed the path back to the network and it works.

thank you for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report