Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equal constraints confusion

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
theycallmevirgo
156 Views, 2 Replies

Equal constraints confusion

In the attached part, sketch "extrusion" has a horizontal line on the x axis constrained as equal to the vertical line. When I constrain the vertical line on the Y axis as equal, the inner rectangle becomes a square and shows fully constrained. Further, if I dimension  one of the mall lines, the sketch becomes fully constrained. 

From my initial understanding of the constraint system, I'm not giving any data about the dimensions of the rectangle. I want to do a simple offset. I'm not using the offset tool because I can't correctly select the target lines.  

Many thanks in advance for any assistance 

Joe

ETA I successfully used offset by turning off loop select, but I'd still like to understand what's going on. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

This is because there are compatibility bonds between the square and the diagonals.

Or the diagonals lie on one straight line.

This way, if you dimension one distance edge, the system has no more mathematical solutions.

If you remove these constraints, you can still manipulate the geometry in the vertical direction.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 3
SBix26
in reply to: theycallmevirgo

Always helpful to mention what version of Inventor you're using in the first post.  For others who may be interested, this is Inventor 2025 format.

In this sketch, you have an extra (and probably accidental) coincident constraint in the upper right corner:

SBix26_0-1713384088017.png

This corner point is constrained to the shorter diagonal as well as the longer one, making the two lines co-linear.  If you delete that constraint, the sketch behaves as expected.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report