Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engrave/Emboss QR code inventor 2020

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1910 Views, 12 Replies

Engrave/Emboss QR code inventor 2020

So I'm trying to 3d print some "business cards" with some engraved text as well as a QR code that takes you to my website.  I've tried converting to an SVG then to a DXF and importing that with not a ton of success. I have to manually click each box to extrude and that doesn't count ones where a dark bit is next a bunch of white bits which makes it very tedious to walk through the QR code bit by bit to make sure its right.
My question is there a plugin or tool that can do this better?  Ive seen some people using svg images in fusion 365 but id really prefer to do this in inventor.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Capture.JPG

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Not sure if this helps or not https://www.cadstudio.cz/en/apps/xtools/

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 13
Xun.Zhang

Hello @Anonymous,

Mark shows a great tool for QR code above, aside of it, you are seems mentioned 3D printing, Emboss is one of commands which can help, how about Grill command under Plastic panel, it would be more efficiency to handle this kind of cases.

Xun
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I appreciate the reply but it looks like that will just add QR code property to the file and not generate a QR sketch that i can extrude or emboss. 

Message 5 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am not sure if this will help. There is a tool on App store.

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=1195234686693454563&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous! I just found this topic and I have the same issue: I would like to engrave a QR-code into an Inventor part, so that also the QR-code is 3D, and not only a flat image "glued" on top of my surface.

Did you by any chance managed to solve this problem?

Message 7 of 13
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @Anonymous! I just found this topic and I have the same issue: I would like to engrave a QR-code into an Inventor part, so that also the QR-code is 3D, and not only a flat image "glued" on top of my surface.

Did you by any chance managed to solve this problem?

@Anonymous  A quick google search led me to this tool which can generate an STL file from a QR code.. That STL could be imported into Inventor and manipulated as needed.

https://printer.tools/qrcode2stl/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr Thanks for your quick reply! Actually, I also found that website and I generated a .stl file of my code, but the problem is that Inventor does not recognize  the imported .stl as a closed volume body, so I cannot properly integrate it in my design.

There might be the possibility to convert the stl into a step file, but that would require an additional tool or software and the IT in my company has really strict rules for third-party software, so I'm trying to find an online alternative or a completly new solution. For the record, I am using Inventor 2016: is it possible that later versions support a better handling of .stl files?

Message 9 of 13
mcgyvr

@Anonymous You just need the mesh enabler app from the inventor addins site.. That will convert the mesh to a solid

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 13
SharkDesign

Dead easy task this. Tell me if I'm missing something. 

When you download your SVG, grab a PNG at the same time. 

Convert the SVG to DXF and paste into Inventor. 

Stick a PNG on another layer. 

Drag a box around everything to extrude and use the PNG to check you've extruded the right bits. 

See this video:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/cc397ed0-d010-4c8d-91f5-cbc7f3b86d25

By the way, I'm just holding ctrl to un-select areas

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 11 of 13
Raider_71

Hi,

I have found a nice way of doing this and developed an Inventor add-in to do exactly this. Let me know if anyone would like to test the app.

Cheers! 😊

Message 12 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! Please feel free to submit it to Inventor App store. I am sure it will benefit other users.

https://www.autodesk.com/developer-network/app-store/inventor

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 13
Raider_71
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Ok, I will publish the app to the app store. It does take a while for the guys there to publish it so if you want to play around with it in the meantime you can get it from our app repository here: Download

You will find the app in the QR Coder folder. There is an Overview video in the folder also.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions for the app.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report