Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emboss on Wrong Side & Backwards or On Correct Side, but Still Backwards

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bo_designer
536 Views, 3 Replies

Emboss on Wrong Side & Backwards or On Correct Side, but Still Backwards

Hi. I create a sketch on a pane just above a cylinder. I move and rotate it into position. Then Exit Sketch and select emboss. I wrap the surface, because I am putting it on a cylinder, and it embosses on the opposite side of the cylinder and the text is backwards. Okay, I then Flip Normal on the pane, but it doesn't make the text backwards on the pane, it makes it upside down. Probably, because it is flipping normal to the axis that I do not want it to, but I don't see how to select an axis. So, I rotate the text and move it back into position. Exit sketch and emboss again. This time, it is on the near side, and still backwards. I flip and emboss many times, and sometimes it will do it correctly. I don't know why. I try to observe, but I cannot figure it out. This time, I have been trying for an hour to get the emboss to orientate correctly, but cannot. Finally decided to just leave the text backwards and call it a feature. However, if anybody knows what I am doing wrong, then I would very much like to know, so next time I can just simply emboss my text and move on to things that are supposed to be challenging.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: bo_designer

*.ipt file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
bo_designer

Got it. The two arrow buttons change the orientation of the little green arrow that shows which side it will be embossed on. It is not always obvious because the pane may be negative and the arrow positive and it will emboss on the unexpected side. Simply undo, click the other arrow button (after selecting the face to wrap on, if not it will default back even though you changed it). I thought these two little buttons were for raised or etched font. 

Message 4 of 4
SharkDesign

You can right click a plane in the browser and choose 'flip normal' which sometimes fixes this. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report