Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

edit styles templates

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
JimSteinmeyer
499 Views, 7 Replies

edit styles templates

I would like to edit our styles librairys to change the font size on drawings and to add some custom Ipropertys to parts and assemblies. I am the vault administrator with lots of power and no knowledge.I have gone to the project selection screen as shown and can select the "use styles library" tab to change it but it is rear only even though I should have privlages.to make changes but I am not able to change this to read/write to make the changes.

styles lib.JPG

Can someone instruct me as to where to go, and how to make things read/write?

We are using Inventor 12 as well as the plane vanilla vault 2012 package.

Thank you

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ampster402
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

guessing here since it's been yrs since I used Vault, but don't you have to check the Project File out of Vault in order to be able to make changes to it?

That's assuming you actually check your Project Files into Vault...

Where I used to work we used a single Vault Project File that was checked into Vault, then as advised by our software vendor I would keep the Project File checked out to myself in order to prevent other users from making any changes to it.

HTH

Message 3 of 8
trumpy81

To modify the Drawing template you need to open the template itself, then on the manage tab, click styles editor. All the parameters for Drawings are available there.

To customize your title blocks etc.... edit them while you are editing the template file.

The template file is normally located here (Windows 7):

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Templates

Once you have edited the template to your liking save it as Standard.idw. You may need to rename the existing template before editing it.

HTH

BTW Inventor 12 is a different version to Inventor 2012. Inventor 12 was released around 2008.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 4 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: trumpy81

Inventor 12.0 was titled Inventor 2008, and was released in the Spring of 2007.

Message 5 of 8
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: SBix26

Guys, Thank you for the I 12 and I 2012 clarification. Yes we have upgraded to 2012. I am able to access the template to change it. However the problem remains that it is read only as shown in the screen shot above. When I right click to change to read/write, the options are grayed out and I am not able to reset it. This is the area I need help on presently.

Thank you

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 6 of 8
Rich.O.3d

Your project is read only!

either check the .ipj file out from the vault (open any file from the project, go to the vault tab in the browser, right  click the project and checkout)

or maybe its because someone else is using it (if another user has the project loaded and inventor open, then it will be greyed out for others to edit)

maybe even check the file properties through windows (detick the readonly)

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 7 of 8
trumpy81

Jim, I get [Library - Read Only] in the Window Title Bar whenever I am in the styles editor, yet when I change the parameters I want to and click save, it saves the relevant information into the template file.

This behaviour is present in 2013 also, and I assume it is because the styles are read from the library which is read-only, however, at least any overrides are saved into the document, in this case, Standard.idw.

This is only theory on my part, but I believe it may explain what is happening?

A similar thing occurs in the appearance editor, where the Autodesk titled libraries are also marked as read-only, but they can be edited and saved from those libraries into other libraries.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 8 of 8
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Rich,

You may be on to something. I knew that it was read only but as the Admin. i am trying to find out how to make it not read only so I can edit the template. I know other usere have projects checked out. Si is the answer that I need to have everyone else check in all their projects at the end of the day and change this while they are gone?

Thank you

Jim

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report