Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving dimensions in assembly

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
wancrum
2444 Views, 11 Replies

Driving dimensions in assembly

Hi there,

I am using Inventor 2016 and am a new user to Inventor. I would like to create multiple table assemblies of varying sizes in the program but do not understand how to drive the dimensions. The table has (4) components: Top, Leg, Skirt1, and Skirt2. Can I input parameters in assembly that update parts as well as assembly?

I wanted to use (3) driving parameters- Theight, Twidth, and Tdepth.

Variables would be driven:

Leg height(the extruded dimension) = Theight-TopThickness

Skirt1Length= Twidth-(2*inset+(2*legwidth))

etc.

Once the three driving values are input the assembly updates and the skirt automatically realign in between the legs. Is this possible to do? If so is there a way to save off new assembly and corresponding new parts as another project file? Thanks for any help.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: wancrum

Hi wancrum,

What version of Inventor are you using?

Are you familiar with multi-body parts?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 12
mcgyvr

As you are a new user I would highly suggest learning/using iparts and iassemblies...

OR multi-body approach as suggested above..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 12
TheCADWhisperer

@wancrum wrote:

I am using Inventor 2016 and am a new user to Inventor. I would like to ...

I suspect that you are about 3 mths of experience away from what you want to do.

But there is no way to evaluate your experience level without any example files.

Can you post your Inventor files of your attempt to create a single configuration of this table (don't worry about multiple configurations just yet)?

Message 5 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

@wancrum wrote:

I am using Inventor 2016 ..

Hi wancrum,

Smiley Embarassed  I completely missed this the first time

See attached, This is an example multi-body part. Using this approach we create the parts in a single *.ipt file and then we'd use the Make Components tool to push out the individual part files, and create an assembly.

This simplifies the parameter linking and the need to calculate the various parts with formulas in the way that you mentioned in your original post. Changes to the original master file push through to the parts and assembly.

Of course my dimensions are bogus, but this should give you a quick example to look at.

Post back if you have questions.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 6 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

edit: I deleted an accidental  double post here

Message 7 of 12
wancrum
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Here is a 24 x 48 table with "adjustable" legs. I see now I could have mirrored some things across planes instead of placing multiple times. I tried to link dimensions from one part to another in its parameters table and in the assembly as well but it wouldn't let me edit them. Thank you for your help.

Message 8 of 12
TheCADWhisperer

So far you are doing pretty good on this.

I suspect someone will create a video on multi-body solids modeling techniques.

After that you can then investigate iParts and iAssemblies

and then 

iLogic

Perhaps with Adaptive techniques and Derived Components thrown in there somewhere.

But in the meantime, I recommend that you -

install the Service Packs and Updates for  your version of Inventor.

do not use Thread feature for holes - use the Threaded Holes for Threaded Holes.

1/4-20 fastener will not "bite" into a 1/4 hole.  (use tap drill size - there is no material for thread (#7 drill, .201"))

Tap Drill Size.png

Message 9 of 12
wancrum
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hey thanks. That looks really awesome. I somehow closed out of the form. Do you know how I can get it again?

Message 10 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

@wancrum wrote:

Hey thanks. That looks really awesome. I somehow closed out of the form. Do you know how I can get it again?

Hi wancrum,

Just reopen it or hit save, there's an Event trigger set on those two events to show the form.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 11 of 12
wancrum
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Ok thank you. I'll do that and research more on all the things you've mentioned above. Multi-body parts looks like it could work for me. I've had some luck with adaptive features in the past- changing a dimension in one derived part in an assembly and it automatically resizing the dimension in another part file within the assembly, although I haven't quite mastered it yet.  Thank you again for your help.

Message 12 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

@wancrum wrote:

... is there a way to save off new assembly and corresponding new parts as another project file?

Hi wancrum,

This is the other place where the multi-body approach pays off. Since it is a "master" file you can se it up as a template, and then generate new designs from it. And then use the Make Components tool to generate the files.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report