Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drill depth to drill point

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2375 Views, 7 Replies

Drill depth to drill point

Our drill depth standard for drilling blind holes has always been to the drill point. Besides the user always figuring out the depth to the drill diameter as Inventor shows it in the hole feature (dialog box) is there another way to define the depth to the drill point in the hole feature?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Drill point is a artifact of the cutting tool - not normally the purpose of the feature. Every standard I have seen dimensions the diameter depth. You might brush up some trig if you really need drill point dimension. You could also do a revolve cut with a dimensioned sketch rather than use the Hole command. I imagine you could work up an iFeature for the purpose fairly easily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks, thought that would be the answer. We already figure out the depth based on the point using trig. I was just wondering if there was a setting I was missing. Done the revolve cut thing and looked into an IFeature, but the hole feature is much easier besides figuring up the depth to the point.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Are you trying to determine this for use in CAM? Most
modern CAM packages have settings for this built in, i.e. tool compensation
or cutter compensation usually has tool by tool adjustments for this.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP2, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

No on CAM use. We recently took over a product line that was developed years ago in Pro/Engineer and we are converting it over to Inventor. The standard for blind hole depth was always to the point since this product is made in China and that is how they perfered it. I was just inquiring to see if we could adjust Inventor to do so. It boils down to either figuring up the depth each and every time or see if this vendor will change.
Message 6 of 8
JDMather

> It boils down to either figuring up the depth each and every time

I used to manually program CNC for parts used in an explosive environment where we had to drill very close to through (but not through for obvious reasons lest a stray spark...) and had to calculate to point. But we only used maybe half a dozen different fasteners so I just kept a quick reference chart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
dan_inv09

Did you know you can use formulas in your parameters? Hole_Depth = Tip_Depth - .5 * Hole_Dia * cos( Tip_Angle / 2 ) or something like that.
Message 8 of 8
SveinBirger
in reply to: dan_inv09

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report