Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dragging view cube locks inventor 2018

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
413 Views, 7 Replies

dragging view cube locks inventor 2018

Out of the blue, When I drag the view cube to rotate a part it freezes and I have to close the program. I can use it to select a face, but when go to drag it, as soon as I touch the cube and start to drag, it freezes. The real strange part is that it happens on 5 other computers, there weren't any Autodesk or windows updates which is usually the culprit. I know there are other ways of rotating the part, but I have been using this method for 13 years and its like muscle memory to rotate the part this way. Also it happens whether is is an existing part or new so its not a model issue.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
llorden4
in reply to: Anonymous

I'd start by checking your video card drivers and making sure they're up to date.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Eugene,

Yes, Leo is right. The behaviors could be graphics related or hardware related. Please make sure all critical Windows updates are installed. 3D Connexion (if used) driver  is updated.

For newer Windows 10 builds, make sure "Text Cursor" is disabled. This new enhancement is known to cause Inventor to crash.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

• I have downloaded the latest driver for my Quatro 4000, I need to have IT install it and hopefully it is the solution, And Text Cursor was off
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Latest video drivers have been loaded, with the same result, I drag the cube and it locks up. Are there any more ideas of what is happening, for all 5 machines lock when dragging the cube, I would guess an update did it, Windows has no updates and this happened mid afternoon. I was using it in the morning and the POOF, it stopped while I still had the same model on the screen., the other users don't use the drag, they use orbit so they never saw the issue. When I asked them to try it, their machines also locked up. I also started a new part, just a rectangle block and it happen, so it isn't model based.

Can the view cube be turned off and disabled? I turn the opacity to 100% to not see it, but when the cursor goes over it, it appears. I want to make it go away until I get is the habit of using the icon orbit or preferably until there is a real solution.

Message 6 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Eugene,

This is still a mystery to me. The last resort I can offer is to reset Inventor settings. Go to All Programs -> Autodesk -> Inventor 2018 -> Tools -> Inventor Reset Utility.

This will reset all Inventor settings back to install default. But, the UI customization will be lost. You can back up the settings in "C:\Users\**username\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Inventor 2018."

If it still does not work, you may turn off View Cube (Tools -> App Options -> Display -> ViewCube -> uncheck "Show the ViewCube on window create."

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried, I am at a loss. I think the next thing is a service pack. This is really tweaking me, I am in the middle of a serious redesign and am under the gun. 

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Or, turn off ViewCube.

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report