Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable model explorer expansion on mouse hover

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
ross.butterfield
959 Views, 9 Replies

disable model explorer expansion on mouse hover

If there is an opinion poll on this, I vote to disable (or add an option to disable) automatic expansion of explorer bar items on mouse hover.  Almost every command includes an extra task to collapse unwanted items.  A rectangular array with 100 occurrences is probably not something you wanted to open.

I sometimes feel Inventor is mocking me for taking too long to decide.  Like the obsequious store clerk saying, "May I HELP you?" when you can't find an item.  I already apologized to my colleague for muttering "Bah!" in my cubicle every 5 minutes.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi Ross,

I could be wrong but by default, mouse hovering should not change any browser view. Is it possible you have enabled "ClickLock" option in Mouse Properties or 3D Connexion device? Hovering should only highlight but not commit to any change.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 10

All 3 of my Inventor 2016 workstations do this.  Notice on the left, the "RectangularPattern9" highlighted.

If I hover on the icon (not the [+] box or the text), after one second it opens as shown at the right:

There are 300 occurrances, so it blows away the whole model explorer view.

"Click Lock" is not selected.  I have never changed mouse properties on any of these workstations.

I could not find any Inventor Application Options to control this.

I am training myself never to touch the icons, only the text, in this explorer bar.

BeltTooth1.PNG                                      BeltTooth2.PNG

Message 4 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Ross,

I could be wrong but by default, mouse hovering should not change any browser view. Is it possible you have enabled "ClickLock" option in Mouse Properties or 3D Connexion device? Hovering should only highlight but not commit to any change.

Many thanks!

@johnsonshiue Johnson... Pre 2018 behavior was exactly as they are describing..

So when they redid the browser in 2018 this functionality (some find it beneficial...others I guess do not) was um... omitted.. 

This omission also no longer allows a very useful function (for me anyways) that was possible pre 2018..

Example..

You used to be able to drag a component over a cable/harness node and if you paused the node would expand to allow you to drop that component into that harness assembly making it part of it.

Now you need to expand the node BEFORE you drag/drop.. 

same technique used to allow you to demote parts into subassemblies without needing to expand that node before.. 

2018 broke (removed/omitted) that functionality that was quite useful/efficient.... 

@ross.butterfield Ross.. If you don't like it.. There is one reason to update to Inventor 2018 for you.. Smiley Wink Not sure if they unintentionally omitted that functionality but its gone now in the latest versions..  Personally I wish they would bring it back for the functionality I describe above that I was quite fond of using.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: ross.butterfield

But to answer the question..

No.. there is no way to disable that functionality in pre 2018 software..

It has been disabled/removed in 2018 software 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 10
ross.butterfield
in reply to: mcgyvr

I can surely see the use of that, like in Windows when you drag to the start menu, it opens level by level so you can drop where you wanted.

Maybe they should have implemented it to open only if you're dragging something... not just hovering.  Hint, hint.   Sorry to see it go away without even an option.  Answer accepted! 

Message 7 of 10
kstate92
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

But to answer the question..

No.. there is no way to disable that functionality in pre 2018 software..

It has been disabled/removed in 2018 software 

Oh, FFS!!

I really am going to miss that.  And searching the Idea Forum, I guess no one wants it returned.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 8 of 10
JoyceZhou
in reply to: kstate92

Hi all

There're two browser hover behaviors:

1. Simply hover the cursor over a collapsed browser node

2. Drag one(or more) browser node(s) (feature, component, etc.) and hover the cursor over a collapsed browser node

For behavior #1, this wasn't supported from R2018 based on user requirement.

For behavior #2 , from R2018.3 and R2019.1, we have supported #2 behavior. Could you please check?

You could see the current behavior on R2020 from the attached video.

Thanks,

Joyce-Jinghua Zhou

Inventor QA Engineer
Message 9 of 10
kstate92
in reply to: JoyceZhou

I'd gotten so used to hovering over the Origin folder node during a Project Geometry operation to access the work planes and axes while editing a sketch.  Now that it's gone... annoying.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 10 of 10
G.DeGheest
in reply to: kstate92

Perhaps you can try "Clickless Mouse 2.02"

This make it possible to just houver without clicking. It just take a litle exercice to use, but it works great for me.

(You can download the application for free on the internet)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report