Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIMESION SCALE WHEN CONVERTING IDW TO DWG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
936 Views, 6 Replies

DIMESION SCALE WHEN CONVERTING IDW TO DWG

I have an Inventor IDW drawing created in Autodesk Inventor Professional 2016, scaled to 1/8.  I exported it as a DWG file.  I opened the DWG file in AutoCAD Mechanical 2016.  When I add a dimension in the DWG, it gives a dimension 1/8 the size of the true dimension.  That is, if the true distance is 8", the dimension says 1".  If I just measure the distance on the DWG, it is correct.  That is, if the true distance is 8", the measured distance is also 8".  It is just the dimension text that is wrong.  The DWG already has dimensions on it that were created on the IDW, which show up correctly in the DWG.  So I don't want to change those dimensions.  Also, I hope that whatever I need to change will not change the text size, arrowhead size, dim line extension, etc.

Also, I would like to change the DWG so that it measures in millimeters rather than inches, and dimensions both millimeters and inches with millimeters as primary dimensions.

I work almost exclusively in Autodesk Inventor, and that only for a little over a year.  I only do a few AutoCAD drawings when requested by a customer.  The last AutoCAD version I used regularly was version 14, more than 12 years ago.  Things have changed drastically since then!!!  I have tried the HELP pages, and couldn't find what I needed.

Your help is appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

In autocad..

Type ddim

Then press the modify button, change to primary units tab and change scale factor in the measurement scale section back to 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

It is already set to 1.  What should I try next?

Message 4 of 7
mcgyvr

Weird.. You may want to ask this in the Autocad forum instead of Inventor..

When you did a "save copy as" in Inventor to create the drawing file did you mess with the options (the button to the left of save)..

I always use "base view scale - model space" and never have a problem..

Of course why not just do all the dimensioning in Inventor and just save copy as dwg when you are all done..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I saved the IDW as a DWG using EXPORT, not SAVE COPY AS.

I couldn't find "base view scale - model space."  Where is it?

My reason for concern over the dimensions coming out correctly is for the customer.  I want to be sure that if they add any dimensions to the drawing that they are accurate.

Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

When doing save copy as or export press the options button before you hit the save button.. press next and the setting is right there..

If your overall dimension scale (not dimscale) is 1 then it "should" be coming through as 1:1 in Autocad and dimensions should be correct..

I've NEVER had your problem and save to autocad all the time and the suggestion I first gave is the ONLY place I can think of that might have caused the issue.. But if its really 1.00 there then I'm out of ideas..

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I appreciate your patience, but I cannot find what you talked about in your reply.  I have attached screen shots of 2 "options" buttons that I can find.  If I select the options button in the screen shot labeled "Options1", then that takes me to what is shown on second page of that screen shot.  If I select the options button in the screen shot labeled "Options2", then that takes me to what is shown on second page of that screen shot.  As you can see, in either case, there is nothing that I can see labeled "next."  I must not be understanding what you are talking about.  Again, I apologize for my ignorance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report