Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension symbol definitions

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
SEC_CAD
656 Views, 3 Replies

Dimension symbol definitions

In a 2D DWG it is possible to edit the dimension text and add symbols and some standard abbreviations. Where does Inventor get its list of abbreviations from? I cannot find a definition in help or the forum.

SEC_CAD_0-1630287241648.png

e.g. LE = Linear Element

If I wanted to describe a slot with a callout, instead of dimensioning it, would this be used like Ø3.0LE5.0 (where 3mm is the width and 5mm is the centre-to-centre distance).

Or have I completely misunderstood the meaning of the "LE" symbol? A page of definitions, linked to the help file, would be useful.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
gcoombridge
in reply to: SEC_CAD

I'll admit first off that I never use any of those and haven't educated myself about what most of them mean! But if I was going to do this I would dimension the diameter Ø3.0 add the symbol LE  and then edit the text and add the parameter the the slot length following it:

image.png

Use iLogic Copy? Please consider voting for this long overdue idea (not mine):https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/string-replace-for-ilogic-design-copy/idi-p/3821399
Message 3 of 4
SEC_CAD
in reply to: gcoombridge

Thanks @gcoombridge . That is what I was suggesting.

For the slot example I decided that if I didn't know what LE meant then how can I expect my reader to know. I deferred to BS8888. 

SEC_CAD_0-1630299314175.png

I ended up dimensioned the heck out of the multiple slots at different sizes on my part. Messy but clear (if that isn't an oxymoron).

Still not sure where Autodesk got the list from. It doesn't match any books or standards that I have read. "LE", and other abbreviations on this list, do not even appear in Wikipedia. If Autodesk thought that they were useful they could have added them to Wikipedia themselves.

Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: SEC_CAD

Hi! I suspect these are carried over from AutoCAD Mechanical standards. They seem to be hardcoded.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report