Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete face does not work correctly in multisolidbody modeling

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
pasi.annila
602 Views, 4 Replies

Delete face does not work correctly in multisolidbody modeling

Created a model with 2 solid bodies...

_poista_1.png

The 2nd solid should be reservour so I just deleted top face with delete face command (and thicken it).

_poista_2.png

The result is unexpected and not good one!

In case I have made (derived) a component (solid9_1.ipt) the geometry is "lost" and part deriving needs to modified. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mdavis22569
in reply to: pasi.annila

Can you share it ...

hard to see everything from the images. 

Shell wouldn't have worked?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
alex.haerens

Delete face is a command with a will of its own ... Sometimes you have no other choice but when there is another option : use it !

In your case you can do the trick in one command : feature "shell" with the correct wall thickness and use the option "remove faces" to select that the top should stay open.

Shell features are used far too little. Drawing a block, adding a shell feature, where you choose an individual wall thickness on one side and click on 4 faces can produce you an L-profile with unequal wall thickness. And all this from a 1-click rectangle sketch with 2 dimensions.

shell.PNG

Message 4 of 5
SBix26

Your image shows exactly what I would expect to happen.  Solid9 has had a face removed, changing it to a surface body (surface body count goes from 153 to 154).  Please attach the file, or at least show another screen shot with the End Of Part all the way at the bottom, below the Thicken feature.  That should change the surface body back to a solid.  But it won't be the same solid, so I wouldn't expect the derive links to be maintained.

As @alex.haerens suggested, Delete Face and Thicken is not the right method for this job.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017.4
Vault Workgroup 2017.0.3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi Pasi,

You don't need to use Derive to get the second body. Simply edit Thicken and change type from Join to New Solid. You will get the second solid back. Is it what you are looking for?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report