Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize the hole command in IDW

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jmulacUYXDH
775 Views, 11 Replies

Customize the hole command in IDW

Is it possible for inventor to automatically give a general call out to a counterbored hole in a .idw so when dimensioning using the hole command instead of it giving the pilot dia, c'bore dia, and depth it just gives a general call out like "C'bore for a M6 SHCS"? I realized that I can override the dimension but that is not the solution I am looking for. I want the hole size to update in the .idw when I change the .ipt.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: jmulacUYXDH

Yes.. If you use the "clearance hole" option when creating the hole then you can include things like the "Fastener Type Value, Fastener Size Value, and Fastener Fit Value" options in the cbore callout..

All this can be setup in your styles to do it automatically for cbore holes,etc...

You may also need to modify the thread.xlsx file to get exactly what you want..

But its entirely possible..

cbore.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
jmulacUYXDH
in reply to: mcgyvr

Wow, that is great!  A lot easier then I thought. Thanks a lot! This is going to make the guys out in the shop very happy. 

Do you know if there is a way I can call out a "Slip fit" or a "Press Fit" for a nominal size for a dowel pin hole.  For example, if I wanted a slip fit for a 1/4 dowel pin I would call out a .251/.252" diameter hole. The guys out in the shop would like to see instead "Ream for a 1/4 dowel SF". (SF=Slip fit) I think its more has to do with when I call out metric dowels, so they don't want to spend the time converting inch to metric. 

Thanks again! 

Message 4 of 12
jmulacUYXDH

Also, do you know if it is possible to change the call out it gives for the fastener type? So instead of "Socket Head Cap Screw" it would say "SHCS"? Socket Head Cap Screw takes up a lot of space. 

Message 5 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: jmulacUYXDH

@jmulacUYXDH wrote:

Wow, that is great!  A lot easier then I thought. Thanks a lot! This is going to make the guys out in the shop very happy. 

Do you know if there is a way I can call out a "Slip fit" or a "Press Fit" for a nominal size for a dowel pin hole.  For example, if I wanted a slip fit for a 1/4 dowel pin I would call out a .251/.252" diameter hole. The guys out in the shop would like to see instead "Ream for a 1/4 dowel SF". (SF=Slip fit) I think its more has to do with when I call out metric dowels, so they don't want to spend the time converting inch to metric. 

Thanks again! 

Probably.. You could add dowels to a new tab on your thread.xls (oops.. meant clearance.xls file) and fill out the data as needed..

Edit:...Except thats going to modify how all "Thru" holes are displayed so probably not easy/robust for that one there..

Frankly I think you might want to focus less on making the guys in the shop happy and make properly dimensioned drawings and have them adapt..

Or you can just manually modify hole notes to make them happy.. I don't think that all the situations can be taken care of here unless all you do is dowel holes and counterbores then its possible.. 

If Inventor used a different style for regular thru holes vs "clearance thru holes" then it would work..

dowels.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 12
jmulacUYXDH

I agree... I think it will be OK as long as the prints stay in house but I can see issues if we send the drawings out. 

Message 7 of 12

The "solutions" presented, are not for the problem I'm reporting.

I've attached a newer print screen, for better understanding.

I need the "hole and thread" feature, on IDW files, to give the depth of the holes, at the drill tip. (as marked on the picture)

Can anyone help on this?

Message 8 of 12

Hi Marco,

I believe you are looking for a way to put thread data in the dimension right? I suspect it may not be easily doable. There isn't an out of box solution. You will probably need to use iLogic code to do that. I am wondering if such annotation is standardized.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 12

Hi Johnson,

No, what is need is to have the drill tip depth, in holes or threaded holes.

See image attached. 

I find no way to have this info thru inventor hole and thread feature.

Thank you for your help.

Message 10 of 12

Hi Marco,

Many thanks for the explanation! I don't think we have an out-of-box solution. The issue here is that such measurement is a computed value. It is neither on the Hole/Thread table nor controlled by a parameter. The user will need to create such dimension in the drawing manually (or iLogic).

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 12

Hi Johnson.

Thank you for your reply.

- Do you have ilogic programing for this scenario? 

- Do you know where I can get an ilogic programing manual / tutorial?

Best regards.

Marco Moura

Message 12 of 12

Hi Marco,

Unfortunately, I am not an expert in iLogic. I know it is doable but I don't have the rule to do it. Essentially, it is no different than finding a point (the tip of the hole) and the starting edge of the hole. I assume you want to automate the workflow, right? I am sorry I cannot be more helpful. Please feel free to post this inquiry at Inventor Customization forum. There are more iLogic/Inventor API experts to help.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report