Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom iProperty, Number Type: Forced comma in BOM.

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
deehawk
1891 Views, 17 Replies

Custom iProperty, Number Type: Forced comma in BOM.

Setting up Inventor in-house procedures and templates, I encountered what I find to be a bug. Else I hope someone can explain this.

I want a second item number (For parts drawings with several parts) which I plan to assign as custom iProperty on each part, so I can use it for reference.

Problem is, if the Data Type for your custom property is "Text", you can't sort it as numbers. Numbers 1 through 14 would be sorted like this:

4..etc

I understand that this must be an Integer (number) insted of a String (text) in order to sort correctly, so off course i change the type to Number.

Now, when I input numbers into the cells in my BOM it forces a comma after every number, e.g:

Why are these commas forced? I get it on my custom parts list and my custom balloons.

The odd thing is, it only occurs when filled in from the BOM.

Upon opening the iProperty window of individual parts, I find that these Number type properties works fine. No forced comma here, and everything now works intentional, and show the correct numbers in BOM, Ballons and Parts List.

Check Attachments

Bonus question: You can filter a Parts List defined by View Representations, but I can't find anywhere to do this in the BOM, which make this filter kind of non-intuitive to use. Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: deehawk

First thing I'd look at is the format for that column in your style library..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 18
deehawk
in reply to: mcgyvr

Since the issue is related to Bill Of Materials, how can this be a style issue? I have no styles determining how BOM acts.

I've looked everywhere in the style libraries; can't find anything related to formatting of Custom properties with Data Type: "Numbers"

It only occurs when putting in data directly into the cell in the open BOM. When inputting from a parts properties dialog, it works fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By changing the formatting of balloon and parts list styles, the commas are no longer showing in these 2 instances, but they still exist in the property BOM, and thus in every string referring to that property. E.g:

=<DetaílDWG>(<CustomItemNo>)    -->     HAD40 020 (5,)

Is supposed to be                                      HAD40 020 (5)

Message 4 of 18
deehawk

I was a little bit too fast there, you can't format the value in the balloons, only in the column of the parts list. So its still a big problem for my system.
------------------------------
Added info:

1. Putting in values into the Number-property via a Form, also nets correct results. Just the number, no comma.
  2. Commas are decimal points in the language setup of Windows and Inventor alike.
  3. Everything is running latest updates (Inventor 2015, Service Pack 1, Update 3) (But I've encountered this issue several years ago as well)
Message 5 of 18
deehawk

The issue seems to be a bug. It has now been logged at autodesk as a case.

It looks like Inventor inputs a Double-value into the property when filled in from the BOM, even for non-decimal numbers. (Then it should be an Integer)

Message 6 of 18
sjxyz

Any progress with this??? I'm using Inventor 2017 and have the UK version of this issue. Entries I make to a numeric iProperty through the BOM turn "19" into "19.0", whereas if I enter them directly in the part iProperties they stay as "19".

And BTW, does it being logged as a BUG count as SOLVED?

Message 7 of 18
deehawk
in reply to: sjxyz

It's not really solved, but this is as close as it gets. 'Bug' was my own definition, and not recognized by Autodesk.

I talked with our software supplier, who put me in contact with someone inside Autodesk. It turns out, our supplier could replicate the issue somewhat, but Autodesk couldn't. They said it was likely a system setup issue, or install issue.

Furthermore, I was told inputting your data via the cells in BOM is 'not correct workflow, for which the program was designed', and therefore not supported by Autodesk. Apparently, the BOM interface is more of a friendly extension, than an actual part of the Inventor workflow.
Nonetheless, it's one of the tools I use most often.

I'm still running 2015, But I'm sad to hear my coming update doesn't solve this problem.
I'm doing it the hard way now. Using text instead of numbers, and simply sorting then manually.

Message 8 of 18
tobias

I'm having this same problem. Can somybody unsolve this thread so it can be really solved.

When you change the custom iProperty in the part file itself it works without the comma.

Please help.

Regards

Tobias

Tobias
The Netherlands
Inventor Pro 2024, Vault Pro 2024, AutoCad Electrical 2024.

If a response answers your question, please use ACCEPT SOLUTION to assist other users later.
Message 9 of 18
dennishoegh
in reply to: tobias

Hi Tobias

Is there an option to remove the solution? I would be happy to do this, since it's still an issue several releases later.

I think you would have to post a new thread though, and pray for a more cooperative agent.

I myself, accepted the issue as a minor nuisance, and simply use "Text" Type. I do have to manually sort parts list with over 9 items, but in return I can refer to several parts in the same cell, which is used often on our drawings. (i.e. "4, 5, 6")

Godspeed!

Message 10 of 18
r.vanderend

I've got the same issue, ridiculous that is not solved yet.

Hope there will be an update soon.

Message 11 of 18
johnsonshiue
in reply to: r.vanderend

Hi! There is a bit of information missing in the thread. What was the case ID or defect ID? Does anybody have an example to show the behavior?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 18
r.vanderend
in reply to: johnsonshiue

When you make a custom iProperty in the BOM you can choose for Data Type: Number.

If you do this it works fine but, if you fill in this value it's adds a comma to the number like this: "3,".

This will also be visible on the drawings when you place this iProperty in a text or something similar.

Message 13 of 18
deehawk
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson.

Thanks for taking time to look into this.

I found the case number: [Case 10589945]

The issue is permanent and not related to single files. It can easily be replicated, if the PC is prone to the issue. Every PC in our company have had this issue for years, even with change of computers and upgrading several releases. I suspect it being a failed translation of some regional settings in windows, but I've not been able to either prove or disprove what happens.

To replicate:

1. Open a non-empty assembly file, and open the Bill of Materials manager.

2. Click the button "Add custom iProperty columns'
3. Name a new column in the dialog and choose 'Number' as it's type and press ok
4. Enter digit in a cell of the new column you just added and press enter.

On our PCs, if you entered "5" it becomes "5,"    (Denmark)
Another user here seems to get "5.0"                  (UK)
Comma is the decimal-seperator in DK, while Period is in UK.

The differences with the trailing zeroes also gives a hint of the error behind it.

EDIT: I just noticed that in Inventor Pro 2017, once the cell has a value, it can no longer be left empty (You can't delete the entry)

Message 14 of 18
maulik_patel

Thank you guys for providing more information about this case. This issue has been logged into our internal system as Bug INVGEN-7710. Hopefully, Will fix it soon. 

Maulik

Maulik R Patel (maulikr.patel@autodesk.com)
SQA Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 18
deehawk
in reply to: maulik_patel

Now 2 years more later, are there any news on this case?

Still running 2017, but want to upgrade if it solves the issue.

Message 16 of 18
r.vanderend

I'm using an updated version of Inventor 2019 Pro, and the issue is still there.. So I think the problem is there forever.

They spend their time on new icons or an another confusing dialog box instead of fixing the major bugs.

Message 17 of 18
deehawk
in reply to: r.vanderend

Thanks for your reply.

5+ critical bug reports (acknowledged reports even) through the years, and no feedback on any of them afterwards.

Message 18 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi Guys,

I checked the latest status of INVGEN-7710. The defect was closed as a limitation. The behavior has something to do with the custom UI control Inventor leverages from our vendor. Unfortunately, there is an option or setting for us to change it. I am sorry.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report