Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Content Center parts giving iMate error on placement.

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
C_Haines_ENG
862 Views, 22 Replies

Custom Content Center parts giving iMate error on placement.

I am trying to use the "AutoDrop" feature In Inventor to place custom made screws from the content center on my parts. I have set to use it in the Hex Head screw family, and I get an error every time I place it saying "Modeling: Unable to create an iMate. This places them but doesn't constrain them to the hole, along with half of them placing upside down. 

I have attached the part, and it is supposed to go into a 5mm x 13mm deep hole. 

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? This would be a massive time saver if I can fix this.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
blandb
in reply to: C_Haines_ENG

Here is a link for auto drop on custom parts:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Use-Aut... 

But to publish to a hex head family, there are required values, and the posted model was blank of parameters other than the imates due to it being a downloaded part it appears.

As the link states, you can only utilize auto drop if where it is published allows for it.

Hope that helps.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 23
C_Haines_ENG
in reply to: blandb

What parameters are important? Its shouldn't be too hard to have a single custom component that can utilize AutoDrop. I published it into the Hex head because it was one of the closer things I could use  that should work for this application. 

Message 4 of 23
blandb

When publishing this part to the Hex Head family, there are family columns to Category parameters that you need to match up before it will allow you to publish (yellow). Maybe yours has these parameters and that is why you could publish?

publish.png

Message 5 of 23
C_Haines_ENG

I'm using a .step file so there will not be any associated parameters to associate. I created a custom user parameter and linked them all to that. Which Categories are important to the placement?

Message 6 of 23

I am not sure wich Parameters are needed in what library, but you could just define it as "other" to test if that was the issue.

Also, have you tried placing the Part (from Place component, not from content center) with imates?

Message 7 of 23

There's only specific categories that have autodrop enabled. Publishing to "other" doesn't have AutoDrop. As well, I'm using autodrop because the part I'm attaching it to doesn't have iMates connected to inserting with iMates wont work for me. 

Message 8 of 23

After playing around a bit i quickly realised that the only Parameters needed are the ones with a yellow Background.

Sadly i dont quite understand how you are supposed to use these, as i usually only author "other" components, where these are not needed.

I tried to check out how the Bolts used these, and it seems like the Key parameters: Bolt type / Bolt length determine the geometry, while the rest is just info. Since, in this case, there is only one size and type, I just filled in the parameters with a Custom parameter. (For the ones it didnt let me use with mm, i created a Text parameter)

And yes, i populated all Fields with only 2 parameters... didnt matter.

After that, everything worked as expected.
(it warns you when placing on edges of the wrong Size, but it works)

Message 9 of 23

Would you be possible to show what you set for the tables, and it correctly inserting? Maybe the issue is that I'm using a STEP file and it needs to be custom made to fit into the assembly. 

Message 10 of 23

Of course:

LucasdolinarVFXZU_0-1655124515914.png

Are you useing the Publish Component command?

on the Layout Page you can setup the iMates for Auto drop, in the Parameters, just fill out the yellows.

After that the Publish button should activate

Message 11 of 23

Ive done the same thing, however when I try to place it into an assembly the imates fail. See screencast attached. Does your part work?

Message 12 of 23
blandb

There isn't a screen cast attached.

Message 13 of 23
C_Haines_ENG

My apologies, It wont let me insert the screencast using the built in feature. 

Here is the Screencast.

Message 14 of 23

Huh, that is very odd...

try this: (its what i did...)

1. delete all the iMates
  2. delete all features except the Base solid
  3. save
  4. hit author component
  5. publish as Hex Bolt
  6. use these faces/edges for the imates:Capture.PNG

 (red edge for insert)

7. fill in the parameters as before
  8. hit publish now
  9. next until it asks for Key parameter, just use whatever...
  10. next
  11. give it a new name (so you dont accidentaly pick the old part)
  12. possibly add a standard to find it easier
  13. hit Publish

for me it works...

Message 15 of 23
C_Haines_ENG

What value did you use for ND, and Thread Diameter?

Message 16 of 23

Could you attach the part with your modifications?

Message 17 of 23

i can send it tomorrow, do you happen to know where content center library files are stored ( not the library, the part)

i could send that too

Message 18 of 23

Are you asking if I know where my content center library is or your content center library?

Message 19 of 23

I better understand now what you mean, I do not believe each individual file is saved separately, they all seemed to be saved under the library file. If you send the original part you published with it should still include everything needed.

Message 20 of 23

Ok, here is the original.

if i were you i'd delete the Sketch before publishing.... it doesnt stay hidden.

edit: i am in version 2022.3, if you are in a earlier version, maybe thats part of the problem...?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report