Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating threads

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
598 Views, 5 Replies

Creating threads

I am a student and I have Inventor Professional 2016 on my laptop. I am trying to create threads on a 3/8" x 3/4" lg. capscrew using the coil command, my text book does not enough info on this procedure.

Help!!!!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: Anonymous

Do you really need to make the actual threads or just specify the threads in a drawing?

I ask because creating the actual representation of threads is not an easy task. It's not just a simple rotation of a coil.

If you just need to call out the threads in a drawing, Inventor thread command will do such. The model will look smooth with the exception of the bitmap that "looks" like threads, but when you detail it by using the Hole and Thread command, the specs of the thread you selected will be posted on the drawing.

If you do need to create them in the model, simplify them as much as you can.

screw1.PNGscrew.PNG

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

I am building parts for an ass'y.
Message 4 of 6
swalton

So @The_Angry_Elf's question is this:  Do you need the actual threads cut into your part? 

Typically this is done because the 3d model will be printed, the thread is non-standard, or the 3d model will be used for FEA studies of the thread geometry.  If so, then using the coil command and the correct drafting technique will get you the shape you need. 

Exactly modeling the thread is computationally expensive and really drags down large assemblies with many threaded fasteners.  The normal technique used in industry is a cosmetic thread.  This is a visual representation of the thread on the part and a thread note on the 2d print.  It is much less computationally intensive, so assemblies of 10s or 100s of thousands of components are possible.

Which method matches your needs?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 6
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous 

I like to know (sorry for hi-jacking the posting)..  If you are a student how are you running Inventor 2016?  Students are no longer entitled to use that version and your 3 year license would've ran out by now..

Or do you mean your purchase a commercial license of Inventor 2016?

Update:  I see your Autodesk Account states "Retired but consulting"..  So are you really a student (in the sense going to school)?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

How will these threads be manufactured in the real world?

3D printing.

Machined by you?

Purchased from vendor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report