Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a "curved" rib

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
nicholas.pickeringNXMU8
1234 Views, 10 Replies

Creating a "curved" rib

I am trying to create a rib that has a curved external face, that connects two curved surfaces together. I have been trying for many hours now and have not had any success.

The sketch shows where the edges of the rib needs to beThe sketch shows where the edges of the rib needs to beThe sketch shows the curved face of the wanted featureThe sketch shows the curved face of the wanted featureDoes anyone know how I can create a rib for this section? I have tried lofts, ribs, revolutions, extrude and cut combos, surface editing. Literally nothing I have tried has been working though.

Just FYI, the edges of the rib needs to be flush to the edges of the curved surfaces

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi Nicolas,

This is an interesting case. The difficulty is with the rib capping face. It is not planar and it is clearly defined. The Sketch9 and Sketch10 have constraint target issues. They are not constrained to the desirable geometry, thought project cut edges were used.

There should be multiple ways to do this case. I like using surface modeling. Please take a look at the attached part and see how I did it by using Split, Boundary Patch, and Sculpt. Let me know if more information is needed.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 11

It's hard to realize, what you're trying to get in the end. If it's a mold or cast part, then in most cases more fillets are involved. Same can be said about machining.

But have a look at my attempts:

1. Let EOP stay behind Stitch Surface1

2. If that's not enough, move EOP to the end, behind Stitch Surface2

2018 IPT attached

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Here's another one, with less distortions.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 11

Here's my attempt (with Loft, file format 2017)

Message 6 of 11

Message 7 of 11

@WHolzwarth wrote:

…. If it's a mold or cast part, then in most cases more fillets are involved. Same can be said about machining...

@nicholas.pickeringNXMU8

Can you describe a bit about the manufacturing process?

If it is a machined casting then it is often best to model the casting and then "machine" the features.

The process/results can be quite different than trying to model in finished form.

Message 8 of 11

Hi JD,

I was wondering about that when working on the solution too. In traditional machining process, such geometry is under defined and not measurable. I guess the OP tries to print the model.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 11

Hi,

do you have the answer yet?

If not could you describe all of the geometrical requirements you have for this rib?

Surly what you need can be done, but description in first post leaves to many options.

For example

- does inclined surface of the rib needs to be flat (in most of it's surface) and you only need to alter in close to the edge? or it does not need to be flat.

- what are your expectations for transition between the rib and bigger cylinder?

- do the side faces of the rid should be parallel or with some inclination?

- will you be needing additional ribs around and solution should allow for constructing them as well?

Cris

Cris,
https://simply.engineering
Message 10 of 11

Thank you SOOOO much! It was such a simple solution but I have never used the patch, stitch combo before, so I didn't even know it was possible!

I really appreciate the help, thank you again

- Nic

Message 11 of 11

To my knowledge it is machined cast

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report