Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying a Standard Hole Pattern from one part to another

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
MikeKovacik4928
1021 Views, 6 Replies

Copying a Standard Hole Pattern from one part to another

Hi all

What is the best way of doing this, rather than having to redraw the hole pattern.

Copying and pasting doesn't work too well, and I have never used iFeatures.

Would iFeatures be the way to go, and how would you do it?

If not what does everybody else do for copying standard hole patterns to different parts?

Mike Kovacik

Inventor Pro 2020 ; Vault Pro 2020

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: MikeKovacik4928

I can think of at least 3 ways that each depends on the starting geometry.

Can you Attach an example file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
MikeKovacik4928
in reply to: JDMather

No I cannot post any work examples

I will, however,  make up some examples at home of what I mean, and post them this weekend.

I would definitely like to know about those 3 methods you are thinking of.

Mike

Message 4 of 7
Mario428
in reply to: MikeKovacik4928

Some different ways I would do it

1. Derive the original part as a surface and sketch directly on the face with the hole pattern.

2. Derive the hole pattern sketch from the original part

3. In the original part give the dimensions that define the hole pattern names, then link to those dimensions in the new part to sketch the hole pattern.

There are a couple other ways, adaptivity but I refuse to use that

Message 5 of 7

Here is an example emulating what I am doing.

Having done this example, it seems as if it is actually easier to just do what I am doing at the moment.

That is doing a "save copy as" and just changing the relevant dimensions.

That is probably because I am not using content center for the parallel flange channels, which don't seem to exist in the content center. I am not using the content centre anyway for steel sections, I am only using it for "off the shelf" items that cannot be modified, like bearings, circlips, nuts, bolts, washers.

I think they must be a "South African Product" because they are in the South African Institute of Steel Construction" handbook, which is where I have got the dimensions from. (Not the dimensions on the attached examples as these are for demo purposes for this forum only)

I am using the parameters to swop between the similar types of channels.(see d0; d1; d2)

However have a look and see what you think

Mike

Message 6 of 7

Hi! The closest workflow is iFeature. You can extract the Hole features as an iFeature. Then insert it to a part when geometric conditions are satisfied. Please note that the features to be extracted should not have local dependency on geometry that is not part of the extracting features (origin geometry or other edges).

Another workflow I personally think can be helpful is to create tool parts. Think of these holes being drilled by tools. You can create tool parts. Then when you need to drill the holes, just derive the tool part as a separate solid body. Use Direct Edit -> Body -> Move to relocate the tool to the desirable location. Lastly use Combine -> Cut to create the holes. One drawback with this approach is the ability to create spec holes. You will need to apply threads to the holes afterwards.

Regardless, this Derive -> Combine approach extends the type of supporting geometry greatly (unlike iFeature). iFeature extraction process can be tricky and confusing at times.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

Johnson

Thanks for that detailed explanation.

I will  have a look at that in my spare time at home and experiment.

I won't be implementing anything like that in the near future, here at work.

The "save copy as" and then just adjusting the few dimensions that have changed,

and deleting the hole patterns that dont exist, is working fine, for this set of components.

Regards

Mike Kovacik

Work (Inventor Pro & Vault Pro 2020)

Home (Autodesk Product Design Suite 2018)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report